Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bypass heater control

burg68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon v6
hey my vr`s heater control unit has started weeping im wondering if its ok to just bypass this unit as i live in qld never used the heater

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
the plastic heater tap is a $15 part, id just replace it

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's also a roadworthy item so you can get defected if it's disconnected (admittedly you'd have to be unlucky). I got mine from AutoBarn for $35. You can bypass it by joining the inlet/outlet where they join to the tap but for all that trouble I'd just get a new one as The1 says. Do it soon as they do have a habit of totally disintegrating.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Another thing to consider is that once the heater core is bypassed, theres no coolant inside the core to protect it from corrosion etc, and it will corrode away fairly quickly once air gets inside it. Its a big job to replace the heater core too, the dash has to be removed to do the job properly, so Id also agree with the guys above, its a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to just replace the heater tap.

burg68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon v6
im talking bout just putting a joiner between the hoses where the unit usually is but will that cause the heater to be on all the time?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
im talking bout just putting a joiner between the hoses where the unit usually is but will that cause the heater to be on all the time?

If you put the joiner on the engine side of the heater tap and not the heater side, the heater will not be on and the bypass will operate as normal.