Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cabin fan not working on 4

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi All. as title says the interior fan doesn't work on 4. Works on 3. What does this mean?
When it's the resistor it's meant to be the other way round! I know that I have a newer style resistor in the car.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if 4 is high is the relay working? someone has been playing with the relays is my guess wrong relay in the wrong spot?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
if 4 is high is the relay working? someone has been playing with the relays is my guess wrong relay in the wrong spot?
Yep. Relay problem. For the three lower speeds blower power goes through the resistor, high speed power goes through the relay.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Yep. Relay problem. For the three lower speeds blower power goes through the resistor, high speed power goes through the relay.

I had the exact same issue occur on my old VN Executive, whereby the fan would work on speeds 1, 2 and 3, but then started working intermittently; then not at all on speed 4. Turned out to be a melted terminal on the fan relay base connector, which was making intermittent contact with the actual relay spade terminal.

A quick check for this is to locate the fan relay on the relay/fuse panel under the steering column, then pull the relay out and see if there is any evidence of overheating on any of the relay terminals. Also on mine, once I had pull out the relay, I could see the melted terminal on the connector base, where the relay plugs into.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Those terminals need cleaning......high resistance connections cause this..........overheating and poor connections.

I clean all with electrical contact cleaner and applied a thin smear of conductive grease on relay pins to prevent corrosion .

Years ago had my high beam relay terminal melt this way.

Also be wary of minor water leaks into cabin from windscreen or body seals........moisture will accentuate theses issues. If necessary place thin sponge under mats to collect and air dry periodically.

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi Gentlemen,
I am finally catching up on a few jobs and trying to check the relay for the cabin fan blower as I was directed to above.
Is there a trick to pulling the relay out. It's the relay in the C position under the steering column.
Thanks guys.