Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam choice - Too Small?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I recently bought a small cam with 108° LSA, wish me luck :)
I'm liking the look of the high energy comp cams for the Holdens with the same duration as a 286 but 108 LSA rather than 110......highly considering it for my nitrous engine.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm liking the look of the high energy comp cams for the Holdens with the same duration as a 286 but 108 LSA rather than 110......highly considering it for my nitrous engine.
Link to site?
108 is where it's at for my next displacement/compression/head combo

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Link to site?
108 is where it's at for my next displacement/compression/head combo

Looking at those two, same 230/230 duration as the 286 but 108LSA instead of 110

I didn't even know until recently Comp did cams for Holdens.....but now I know, and actually well priced too....similar to the Crows

These specs look exactly what I'm after, I'll be running roughly 10:1 compression with the new setup, so this is about the unicorn specs in terms of an angry but still usable cam.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think I like those, a good upgrade over the old 286 which had 296° advertised duration where these look to have 280°, much more aggressive lobe/ramp profile which means a lot less overlap at advertised duration and the earlier intake valve closure should give better cylinder fill.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

Looking at those two, same duration as the 286 but 108LSA instead of 110

I didn't even know until recently Comp did cams for Holdens.....but now I know, and actually well priced too....similar to the Crows

These specs look exactly what I'm after, I'll be running roughly 10:1 compression with the new setup, so this is about the unicorn specs in terms of an angry but still usable cam.
Reading it, do total performance have them ground especially for themselves by comp?
I would go with the 288H for me:

Click into it, as it's different to what that link displays for some reason...

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Reading it, do total performance have them ground especially for themselves by comp?
I would go with this one for me:
I think that must be the case as I can't find anyone else selling them besides these guys.

I might order one sooner rather than later in case they suddenly decide to stop doing them.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
should change that chain tensioner to the early LS2 dog bone style, i had the same as yours in mine and found that spring metal from it in the sump, luck it didnt cause issues when it broke out

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
They put a new tensioner in it, but all I know is that it's a gm ac delco one. Not sure which.