Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Can a car pass a Roadworthy with a slight coolant leak?

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Hi guys,

Just bought an 03 VY ute from a dealership with a RWC supplied. This is in Victoria.

After a couple of days I've noticed a slight drip of water/coolant coming from underneath the driver's side of the engine. I havn't looked close enough to see where it was coming from but I am wondering if legally the car is allowed to pass this way. I know oil leaks fail due to safety reasons but I'm not 100% sure on coolant. If I contact the mechanic who supplied the RWC do they have to fix it?

Cheers

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
This may sound stupid, but are you sure it isn't the air con? Coolant has a very distinctive smell and colour.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Drivers side coolant passenger side air con look at where the leak is if it's coming out of a hose it may just need a bit of tightening up

Sent From My Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Front or back? Could be heater tap, located on the drivers side rail. Either way, i wouldnt pass a car that had a coolant leak.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
Even a small leak can still build up pressure in the system and eventually things let go. So I doubt it will pass.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Well the thing is the car already passed the roadie. What I'm wondering is if I take it back are they obligated to fix it?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Well the thing is the car already passed the roadie. What I'm wondering is if I take it back are they obligated to fix it?

Prove it was leaking when it passed. Bet you can't and that's what they will say.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
A coolant leak can happen anytime, it may not have been leaking when the roadworthy was done. So they shouldn't have to fix it for free.

Same with lights, a globe can blow at anytime, it may work when the roadworthy is being done, but may stop working a few days later.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Heater tap could be the issue its common..

Short answer NO They wont fix it.. that is all.!

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
A coolant leak can happen anytime, it may not have been leaking when the roadworthy was done. So they shouldn't have to fix it for free.

Same with lights, a globe can blow at anytime, it may work when the roadworthy is being done, but may stop working a few days later.

What he said! +2