Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can a LS3 injector fail cause damage

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I didn't suggest it removes the cross-hatch. This remains to keep the seal and oiling correct once bedding occurs. Ring rotation is assumed to be cross-hatch related but the small number of experiments that have been performed find no correlation. That's why it's called a phenomenon

Either way, with fuel leaking into a cylinder it remains lubricated, most of the fuel will get blown out and oil pressure will see to the rest. The biggest concern I would have is a bad burn on power stroke

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I didn't suggest it removes the cross-hatch. This remains to keep the seal and oiling correct once bedding occurs. Ring rotation is assumed to be cross-hatch related but the small number of experiments that have been performed find no correlation. That's why it's called a phenomenon

Either way, with fuel leaking into a cylinder it remains lubricated, most of the fuel will get blown out and oil pressure will see to the rest. The biggest concern I would have is a bad burn on power stroke

How does oil pressure effect bore oiling when the bores are splash oiled?
Kieth Jones of Total Seal Piston rings states the corss hatch is what causes the rotation he may be wrong for all I know but he's a lightyear ahead of me and you on the subject so I'll take his word for it.

You don't understand how compression rings get lubricated. They are lubricated by the oil left in the valley's which is the RvK value on the bore finish which has to be 70% to 80% but it's better at 70%.
What happens when the mixture is too rich is it washes the oil out of the valley's and leaves the cylinder bear. The oil control ring prevents excess oil from touching the compression rings so they rely on that oil layer left in the cross hatc valley's to lubricate them.

I could go further into this subject but I'm not going to hear I'll PM you.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's called fling smart arse. Where does the fling come from? Magical fling fairies? No, it comes from oil pressure forcing oil through the crank and big end and centrifuge does the rest. If there was no oil pressure there would be no oil to fling. You talk like it's a baby splashing in a bathtub, not a precision operation. It won't leave anything bare if it's functioning correctly, how much fuel do you think an injector squirts? How loose do you think ring seals are? Have your ever seen a compression test psi? You do realise the spark still sparks and the exhaust valve still opens right?

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's called fling smart arse. Where does the fling come from? Magical fling fairies? No, it comes from oil pressure forcing oil through the crank and big end and centrifuge does the rest. If there was no oil pressure there would be no oil to fling. You talk like it's a baby splashing in a bathtub, not a precision operation. It won't leave anything bare if it's functioning correctly, how much fuel do you think an injector squirts? How loose do you think ring seals are? Have your ever seen a compression test psi? You do realise the spark still speaks and the exhaust valve still opens right?

Splash oiling will only ever load the oil control ring. Once the oil control ring has scrapped the excess oil off the compression rings are left with the bore coating which has 0% to do with oil pressure.

Kazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore SS V8
My VF clubsport had an injector fail a few days ago & had it replaced by the dealer. but since then there is a light sounding tap from the motor. Yes, it's concerning considering. It's done a bit over 100k.

Is it stuffed?
Could a failed injector cause further damage to lifters, rockers ect. somehow?
Could it have mixed fuel into the oil thinning it out?
I was driving out of my driveway when it was rough idling so straight to mechanic reported it to Holden
It was out of warranty. Holden are not interested if out of warranty. Mine happened when vehicle had only done 60,000 klms it was two years out of warranty. They said we have to take into consideration of wear and tear. After my fuel injector failed the first time replaced then a service car went perfect like it was brand new and then two months into the fuel injector being replaced another went and then it kept happening every two months so now replaced one complete side and yesterday I learnt fuel injector 6 has failed so decided to replace the other side as of Monday I will have replaced all eight and another service.

Kazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore SS V8
I was driving out of my driveway when it was rough idling so straight to mechanic reported it to Holden
It was out of warranty. Holden are not interested if out of warranty. Mine happened when vehicle had only done 60,000 klms it was two years out of warranty. They said we have to take into consideration of wear and tear. After my fuel injector failed the first time replaced then a service car went perfect like it was brand new and then two months into the fuel injector being replaced another went and then it kept happening every two months so now replaced one complete side and yesterday I learnt fuel injector 6 has failed so decided to replace the other side as of Monday I will have replaced all eight and another service.
I look after my car two services a year anything that needs doing I get done it looks brand new inside and out. How dare they say to me wear and tear if any they caused it.
Due to building the LS3 motor and putting faulty fuel injectors and knowing about it and not recalling as my car was still in warranty when it was a well known issue but decided to keep quiet.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I look after my car two services a year anything that needs doing I get done it looks brand new inside and out. How dare they say to me wear and tear if any they caused it.
Due to building the LS3 motor and putting faulty fuel injectors and knowing about it and not recalling as my car was still in warranty when it was a well known issue but decided to keep quiet.
I think when injectors fail, they usually do it due to factors you have no control over … for example BP may be a reputable seller of fuel for example, but that doesn’t mean your favourite BP hasn’t had something happen which nobody knows about & which means their ULP98 tank is a bit dirty.

So from a certain point of view we don’t really have a leg to stand on, as with any consumable items really.

However the fact that so many people have had injectors fail on this couple of years’ worth of production is a factoid Holden definitely knew of. There’s zero chance they weren’t tracking their warranty returns, either for predicting stock-levels or for the accounting department to laugh evilly about on dark moonless nights.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
How dare they say to me wear and tear…

ACL statutory warranty (no end date define in law) specifies products sold must be or acceptable quality and durable. The ACL has some provision for wear and tear and abuse by owner that lets the supplier off the hook. So it’s not surprising that Holden state such hoping that the owner simply accepts it cause it’s easy to say and sounds legit to the unknowledgeable.

Simply put, injectors are a life of vehicle component and shouldn’t fail in the quantities and time frame Holden has seen and which we’ve heard about on this forum. There is no doubt (to us) that there is an underlying durability problem with Holden’s injectors as used in the LS3.

So there is no wear and tear issue, only a defective product which isn’t of acceptable quality and isn’t durable as the consumer expects from a life of vehicle component. It’s time to go to NCAT me thinks…