Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone tell me why my Air Con belt keeps throwing itself?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Theres a very small chance it might do damage. And that would be from if the belt was to get whipped around the engine bay. I have come across one that wrapped the belt around the base of the balancer. Didn't do any damage, was just annoying to remove.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Okay, awesome thanks guys :)
I'll definitely get it done as soon as I can

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Holden don't have stock and all other parts dealers in town don't even know of what part I'm talking about, lol. :(
Oh well. I'll have to wait till about the 10th of June for Holden to get them in.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Generally gets thrown off at high revs so if you nanna it, it shouldnt come off.

Thats not much fun though.

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
That's pretty much right on the money lol...
But yeah that's cool lol. I'll just take it easy till I can get it replaced :)

Yonnee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon 6.0L
There was a rework with the A/C Bracket aswell. Searched the net and found this:

Taken from another site:

It involves a replacement compressor mounting bracket incorporating an idler pulley (previously not fitted), with a longer belt to match. Most cars were previously fixed by replacing the commonly failing harmonic balancer, but a few cars proved stubborn, hence this release.
All VE V8's from 6G1EP4EH2AL419681 19/11/09 production on incorporate this fix.

Part No.: Description
92244378 A/C Bracket Assembly (inc idler pulley)
92244381 A/C Belt
I've been driving around for the past week or so with no A/C, and this morning pulled in to my A/C bloke down the road to check the gas, only to find the A/C belt off. So a bit of searching found a number of threads on a few forums regarding this "common" problem and its subsequent solution. However... I rang my local Holden dealer with the above numbers (92244378 goes to 92252927), only to be told that the 92252927 is now superseded by 92250227, but this new number does NOT fit vehicles earlier than MY12, and there is currently no longer a solution for earlier models !!?? The dealer only found this out 2 weeks ago when they specially bought in the new bracket for a customer's car and it wouldn't work (my guy is finding out why for me...). Apparently, Engineering is currently "working on it"...

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Wow that's terrible. Sorry to hear. I haven't gotten around to fixing mine just yet as I haven't had the issue reoccur. I also since then have not "raced" or "flogged" my car as such.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

Yonnee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got it home tonight, and now the friggin' bonnet struts won't hold the bonnet up !! :(
Found a short length of timber to prop it up. The A/C belt had at least popped off rearward, tucking itself behind the tensioner and between the balancer and front timing cover. Extracted the belt and found that it had suffered little damage. :)
Refitted it back in placed and refitted air intake. Started the car and had nice cold air through the vents. :) Back round the front to check the belt, and the Harmonic Balancer has the infamous "wobble"...!!! :censored:

Back online for more research...

Yonnee

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, just bought the Powerbond OEM replacement balancer from Mace Engineering following some advice from Steve there. Find it a little odd they don't stock the ARP bolt to fit it... had to get that from GM Motorsport.
Now just waiting for the postie... :D
Then we'll see if it's just the balancer or the original single pulley/tensioner on the A/C bracket.