Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can Holden detect if AFM has been deactivated?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
So,you,are saying simply pushing the sector to the right deactivates AFM? I thought you needed to use the manual shift function?

No sports mode does NOT deactivate AFM. Been there, tried that lol.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
if only P1r4te was here eh lol.....

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Hi Smashfist, do you have any further info on this?

Do they no longer use tech 2?

I had read there was a sum total of all values, and if anything had been modified the total would not correspond to the original, but both Efi live tuners told me that once locked it was undetectable at dealership level, and would require a Holden engineer to access all tables etc.

So much confusing, conflicting information!

Tech2 is for older vehicles, the newer system is PC based and uses the MDI (Multiple Diagnostic Interface) tool. For any large failures like engine failures Holden generally requires a log dump to be attached to the case - modified tunes won't show as having a GM calibration number. Any changes to the tune will invalidate the GM cal # - I've seen cars with AFM disabled only and they still show an invalid calibration.

That being said though, from a legal standpoint Holden would have to prove that fiddling with the ECM will have caused a failure. Easy to argue if it leans out and melts a piston or has a carbon buildup that lunches a valve or something like that, but hard to argue if the engine spits a big end or oil pump/cam etc.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Right here we go.. this ought to be an interesting explanation.. but here we go!

Hi Smashfist, do you have any further info on this?

Do they no longer use tech 2?

I had read there was a sum total of all values, and if anything had been modified the total would not correspond to the original, but both Efi live tuners told me that once locked it was undetectable at dealership level, and would require a Holden engineer to access all tables etc.

So much confusing, conflicting information!
Tech2 isnt used for VF's, they use their new fancy GDS system for live data reading. Essentially a tech2 on roids, and costs an arm and leg each year also.

Your EFILive tuners are being naive. If they "locked" a tune... then that IMMEDIATELY gives it away that the ECU has been tuned! Since if Holden attempts to flash in the latest calibration, their system way say security access denied. But they can still look up all the calibration numbers and live data from the ECU.

As the Range Tech one states, it doesn't tamper with the ECU and is not detectable by engineers. You've just got to remember to unplug it before bringing it in to Holden and they'll never know.
Geeezzzzz, I would be **** scared to see what that is actually sending over the cars communication line to force it into 8cylinders.
Anything that doesnt say supports Holden specifically never seems to pan out well. Even so, would have alot more questions in regards to what sensory input they are faking nto the vehicle communication line, how this is affected if those sensors are present in the vehicle, and how these sensors affect the engine under various conditions (eg O2 sensors).

Tech2 is for older vehicles, the newer system is PC based and uses the MDI (Multiple Diagnostic Interface) tool. For any large failures like engine failures Holden generally requires a log dump to be attached to the case - modified tunes won't show as having a GM calibration number. Any changes to the tune will invalidate the GM cal # - I've seen cars with AFM disabled only and they still show an invalid calibration.

That being said though, from a legal standpoint Holden would have to prove that fiddling with the ECM will have caused a failure. Easy to argue if it leans out and melts a piston or has a carbon buildup that lunches a valve or something like that, but hard to argue if the engine spits a big end or oil pump/cam etc.

The GM Cal# doesnt not have to be affected in a tune. If a custom operating system is injected into the ECU, general HPTuners or EFILive make up their own operating system calibration number so that they know its their custom operating system, but a Holden device will not know what that is and may throw an "unknown" calibration or "unknown ECU".
If only changing a few parameters in a ECU and not the entire operating system, then this GM Cal# will not be affected. The ECU's "checksum" used to validate that an ECU's entire calibration is not corrupt is automatically recalculated by commercial tuning software before it is written back to the ECU. Iv done a tonne of work on reverse engineering and understanding the LS1, E38 (LS2), E40 (LS2), E55 (VZ V6) ECU's which all follow the above structure when tuned by efilive/hptuners. Its normally custom operating systems that throw Holden devices off for reprogramming.

Im yet to have had free time to look through all the VF ECU tables in GDS, but, I wouldnt be surprised if you can look up the ECU's checksum which could be a telltale to whether the ECU has been modified.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Taken from the product website:

How does Range disable AFM?

Ken Mosher05/05/2015

Factory GM vehicles equipped with Active Fuel Management can disable AFM in a normal operating condition. Range uses factory messages sent over the CAN-Bus to "tell" the ECU to stay in V8 mode. #We do not trick the ECU with false signal readings. #We disable at the source and your truck runs as it normally would in 8-cylinder mode. #

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Hmmmmmm still not sure what to do.

If Holden can detect AFM being switched off, and I go that route I may as well have the full tune done, if I am going to risk warranty.

Maybe need to look at one of the packages that come with warranty.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Taken from the product website:

How does Range disable AFM?

Ken Mosher05/05/2015

Factory GM vehicles equipped with Active Fuel Management can disable AFM in a normal operating condition. Range uses factory messages sent over the CAN-Bus to "tell" the ECU to stay in V8 mode. #We do not trick the ECU with false signal readings. #We disable at the source and your truck runs as it normally would in 8-cylinder mode. #

Ah didnt see that. :beer chug:
Guess it would be a matter of seeing if they actual do work on our Holdens. Since not all GM vehicles use the same ECU's.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Can't you go the full tune with AFM disabled using an autocal from here Commodore and HSV Oztrack Remote Tuning Service

Then flash it back to OEM standard when you take it for service, and flash back the tuned settings when you're home?

Does it work like that?

I thought they might be able to identify any changes period?

If the original tune is reflashed back in, is the data sum the same as if it were never touched?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Does it work like that?

I thought they might be able to identify any changes period?

If the original tune is reflashed back in, is the data sum the same as if it were never touched?

Nope. If you know where to look in the ECM it does flip a bit that can't be reversed when a tune is installed. Most people don't know where to look, but it's big in the states for GM dealers to check cars every time they're at a dealer for modified software (whether it's been flashed back to stock or not, you can tell) - it's not policy here but you never know going forward.