Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can I pick your brains

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt s-pack supercharged
Besides the legal registration aspect I'm more chasing the mechanical requirements

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
so straight swap??????
ive heard of vt vy sumps being different will there be any clearance issues
vt run 4l60e auto trans vy run 4l65e will the loom connection fit
will the vy tailshaft line up to 4l60e box
can I take my kalmaker tuned chip from my vt ecu and install into vy ecu
will standard vy v6 ecu run a super charged engine if not are there dramas installing my vt s/charged ecu into vy ? will the car start if I do so
will all insitu vacuum hoses remaining in vy match up to my supercharged engine?
will my 2 1/2 twin system from vt fit onto vy once engine is installed?

These are the type of questions I need answered if anyone has some legitimate answers for these id be very grateful to hear from you

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
All v6s are 4l60s, only v8s got 4l65s. There are some tailshaft differences between vt and vx/y/z though, some have donuts some have uni joints.
The sumps should be fine.
Not sure about the chips and ecus, VATS will need to be relinked (tech2) or disabled if you swap ecus, im sure it could be made to work though.
Exhaust will fit fine.
There are differenes in the fuel system on s/c cars, easiest way would be find a s/c vy calais, should be an easy swap then.

Best way would be to grab the factory service manual and get busy reading, it explains a lot of the changes made over the years and differences between s/c and normal v6. You can find it on thepiratebay, search for vt commodore (covers vt/vx/vy, 679mb cd image file).

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the clarification CV. I pulled a v6 out of my mates VY wagon it had a 4l60e. With the fuel differences I would use standard in tank fuel pump to surge tank with Bosch 044 fuel pump

commodorefanatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic Edition
the problem will be is that the engine is older then the chassis if you decide to transplant the 98 into a vy. One thing is insurance companies will null and void your cover if you have an accident and they find that the engine doesn't match the chassis (trust me they check if it was written off), and you cant change it with vicroads (it might be different for you in WA but i cant imagine it being different) as the engine is older than the chassis....So i do believe you are better finding a decent vt or vx that has a bung engine and transplanting into that (ensuring that the chassis is the same year or older). It will save you all the hassle