Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I "polish/buff" my car with this?

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Hey guys, just wondering, my dads mate who briefly re-sprayed my car said not to polish/buff it because it will eat away at the clear coat over the paint. My uncle came over today and gave me this and said i can use it as a substitute for my car, will it work without destroying the paint? any help is appreciated, thanks.
IMG_0002_zpsa5cc3a6c.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsb5cc81e9.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 425

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm no expert but polish shouldn't damage the clear coat. I polish mine quit a bit and have no damage to the clear coat. That stuff looks to be ok to use, but I suppose it depends on what sort of clear coat was used.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
how long ago was it painted?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Don't know about that stuff but some of your cut and polish products are not supposed to be used on a clear coat.

example - crappy Kitten C&P

Kitten Products - Cream Cut & Polish No 2

KITTEN® Cream Cut & Polish No. 2 has been designed to rejuvenate paintwork that’s in poor or heavily weathered condition. It combines the finest Carnauba waxes and silicones to provide a lasting shine that protects your car’s surface. If your paintwork is in reasonably good condition, or less than 8 years old, use KITTEN® Cream Polishing Wax No. 1. Do not use on clear coat finishes.

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
can polish and wax but dont CUT.... cant see why polish would hurt a car... depends when it was resprayed maybe..

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
hi
i've had my car since new (VT S white) all i use is the Auto Gleam products paint looks great
and i've had people ask me how long ago did i respray my car and when i say never they don't belive me.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Yes, you can polish / paint correct a car with clear coat....refer JC thread for example : https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...fa-romeo-159-paint-correction-protection.html

However it depends on how long it's been since the respray. I had a car resprayed a few years back that had clear coat and the advice from the sprayer was to only wash and wax for the first 6-9 months. If it was a decent re-spray, the surface shouldn't need polishing for quite some time, just protection re wax etc. The use of a spray / paste wax should see you right.

I've not used the product noted in the first post, only Meg's and Victoria Wax on fresh (sub 12 month old) paint.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
If its only recently been resprayed, you wont need to polish (unless you have light scratches). A wax is all you would really need.
Allocate 30min to "wax on wax off". And only after you have washed the car and do it preferably in the shade.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Defiantly wax/polish it, waxing places a temporary protective coating over your finish that degrades after 3-6 months or even 12 months for pro products, it protects your clear coat/finish from fading.

Cutting on the other hand takes a small layer of paint off to reveal fresher vibrant paint making dull old paint jobs shine again, this will cut through clear coat and should never be done on new cars or new paint jobs as it leaves your paint exposed and vulnerable to fading.

check out Car Care Australia a sponsor on this site for good quality products.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Okay thanks heaps guys, im gona give the stuff i put pictures up of first, see how it goes :)
And the respray would have been from memory about a year ago now i think...