Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i use Fiberglass Panels on a streeter??

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I always thought it was ok for anything built pre 1972

If i get around 2 it i will give QLD Transport a call today and find out! It will be really good if i can use it as the normal bonnet weighs in @ about 40kg whereas this bonnet i am looking @ is around 6kg! The boot lid also is around 25-30kg whereas this one is also less than 6kg so yeah its i little bit of weight reduction:D

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
structual panels = no
ie guards, bonnets etc

cosmetics = yes
ie bars, spoilers

they may run carbon bonnets on there cars but they are running the same deal as someone say running 19s on a exec, illegal but they still do it

Since when are guards and bonnets structural :p

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore

My thoughts exactly:D There is a company that can sell me replacement fiberglass front guards,nose cone,stone tray,bonnet virtually whole front end ect but i dunno lol am a bit sus on going whole front end, the bonnet should do nicely:)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Doesn't the 'Structural quesiton depend on the car ? If its got a full chasis like i think an old charger would, the panels are not structural ? on a commo with a weak as **** chasis, even the windscreen is structural ... just a thought.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Doesn't the 'Structural quesiton depend on the car ? If its got a full chasis like i think an old charger would, the panels are not structural ? on a commo with a weak as **** chasis, even the windscreen is structural ... just a thought.

Nah the chassis is not a straight through setup but they are alot stronger than the commodore setup thats for sure!! Its amazing with the old girl it has all panels removed and it is honestly just like a tank, solid as a rock!!! Would hate to get T boned by one of these cars in a commodore, the commy would get cut in half and the charger would just keep rolling:shutup:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F

all the panel are interwind (spelling) in the design of the cars structure
they may not be as important as a chassis rail and other compnments but they are still there for structual purposes

a bonnet shut is like a box closed,
try pushing the top into its self, like pushing a rad support back with a bonnet on its possible but harder then having no bonnet
try it with a box. try pushing it in, then cut the top off and try pushing it in.....

although you might not think it, a bonnet, guard etc do have some what slight structual purposes

and i stand corrected on CF and fibre glass part

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Well have just found a site that supply a heap of street legal fiberglass panels to suit my charger:D They sell both race style for off road use and reinforced for street applications!
Welcome to www.gprsmopars.com

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
all the panel are interwind (spelling) in the design of the cars structure
they may not be as important as a chassis rail and other compnments but they are still there for structual purposes

a bonnet shut is like a box closed,
try pushing the top into its self, like pushing a rad support back with a bonnet on its possible but harder then having no bonnet
try it with a box. try pushing it in, then cut the top off and try pushing it in.....

although you might not think it, a bonnet, guard etc do have some what slight structual purposes

and i stand corrected on CF and fibre glass part

They're not considered to effect the structural integrity according to Road Transport Authorities though.

The bonnet itself adds extremely little strength to the structure of the vehicle. Don't forget all that keeps the bonnet there in the first place are some weak little hinges, and the peice on the bonnet that drops into the radiator support breaks away quite easily. Its in no way the same design as a cardboard box...

They might add to the strength slightly, but that is in no way their 'purpose'.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Well got off the phone to Qld Transport today and they said useing fiberglass panels is fine as long as i get a stat dec from the blokes who sell it confirming that it conforms to a specific standard!! So yeah, good stuff!! They also told me that The B&M shifter i want to use is also street legal:D