Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can you sand metallic acrylic before clear coat?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
all i use for sanding primer before basecoat is 320 i hate paint coming off

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks for the help fella's. I ended up wet sanding it back with 800 the next morning, and I just had enough paint to blow 2 more coats over it (it had to be done that day so I could drive home, and paint shop was shut so I couldn't get any more mixed up). It came out a lot better, I got those bubbles out, but its not perfect, if you look closely you can still see some spray marks. I ended up using the wider nozzle on the spray gun I think 1.8. Probably not the right thing to do but it got me out of trouble. Cheers for the help, I'll try some of those tips next time

BOOSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ACCLAIM S2 WAGON
Bloody hell mate, no you can't sand metallics before the top coats,
metallic goes on dry and dusty so turn your pressure right up and stand back a bit moveing a bit faster, criss cross for heavy metallics
Also i see gun lines to eliminate this you must paint only one way! if your left handed you will paint to the left and arc the gun back ready for your next stroke
For the **** in your paint if you ever see anything like that just stop painting youll need a chop! Looks like you have water in your line and you need a water trap or a compressor rebuild thanks for a good old laugh guys