Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Car auctions

3d602s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
I've been thinking about buying a VE Commodore from a car auction, because they seem to be cheaper than anywhere else. Has anybody had any experience with car auctions? I'm curious to know about RWC and warranty.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I bought my VY as a passed in item at Qfleet (QLD government) auction with no rego. It had balance of new car warranty + 3 month statutory warranty.
Are you talking about government auctions? The only thing is you can't test drive them, had no bother with mine though. Would buy government car again, mine had been owned by Department of Aged Care and Disabilities, I wouldn't buy an ex cop car or certain other departmental cars, as I work for a particular department and I know what we do to them..........

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
What kind saving would you expect to make buying from an auction. i mean do u get them cheap enough to buy an ex police ss and spend a bit of money tidying up all the little exterior problems. i looked at fowles last night and ex police ve ss interior has holes etc witch i dont care about. but exterior blemishes like scuffs and scratches id have fixed......plus even though had a hard 60,000 km they would always been well serviced and kept in top running order? basicly what im saying is if i brouht an ex gov car from an auction......and im not getting to test drive it......is it worth it?

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Definitely worth it in my opinion, I bought my current commodore from Pickles Auctions for probably at least $3,000 cheaper than a private sale not to mention a dealer sale!!! I will definitely be going back there in the future for my next car without a doubt! And as for RWC I wouldn't worry about it especially if your buying a newer car. I had to get one with my car as plates only got sold to dealers...

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yes it is worth buying from Govt auctions. I saved around four grand on what a dealer wanted at the time, and that was paying reserve for a passed in car. As for an ex cop, well just be aware that they will have been worked hard and that will be right from word go, when the running in period should have occurred, they will have been driven just as hard as a car with ten grand on the clock. By finding out who had the car in the first place, you can maybe opt for an ex education or health system vehicle (probably won't have been thrashed) This, however may rule out the possibility of obtaining an SS as not sure if other departments use these. Bit of ringing around will help, though. In QLD it's all handled by the Public trustee.

too jazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
in 2008 we had bought a 2006 statesman international 44000kms had sunroof and gps fitted bought for $24500 from pickles, excellent car, we did start it and put it into gear and rolled it back and forth for like 15 min

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
My Astra is ex-QLD Health. Got it for just over $14 grand and at the time it only had just over 20,000 km, practically still a brand new car. While there were a few scratches on the paintwork, its been an excellent car, and I'd have no problems buying another ex-govt car or recommending them. Only downside is that as someone else said - you can't test drive them. (they do let you start the engine however) Also, when the vehicles go to auction they are actually unregistered, you have to organise registration and everything yourself after you pay for the car.