Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car cameras

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

Here are a few stupid drivers, the first two are only about two minutes apart.
I have muted the audio because I tend to get excited when these things happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Copy the URl to the video and then paste it into the video link, via the video icon.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
A quick look at 'Witness' - an iPhone in-car camera app which I purchased recently after it was mentioned by aussieakito. I've installed it in my iPhone 4.

You can change the video to record in various qualities. You can set how long each short video is, and how many it will record before overwriting the first video of the set.

I've set it to record 10x6 minute videos, so basically it will always have a record of the last hours driving. If you see an event you want to record, just hit save and it saves the current 6 minute chunk until you can deal with it later.

You can set the screen up for constant video display, or constant map display if you prefer. You can view and move the maps without interrupting video. You can set the screen to automatically go blank (or display maps) at a given speed so it doesnt distract the driver. A tap on the screen brings it back if you want to save something.

You can record audio as well, or not. If you record with audio, you have the option of removing the audio when saving, if it happens you were saying something you didn't want recorded at the time..

The recorded output file (.mov) displays..

G forces, to show how hard you are braking, accelerating or cornering.
(It also detects collisions using G forces, and autosaves the current video. Useful if someone wants to work out why you hit the pole I guess..)

Heading.. which direction you are going

GPS co-ordinates.. exactly where you are

Time and date.

So far, I have found it very easy to use in the quick tests I have done. I haven't bought a phone holder/charger for it yet though, as you will see in the video below, where I am simply holding the phone. You will need both a suitable phone holder and a battery charger.. or a combo unit. It uses a lot of power apparently.

Exporting to PC was dead easy.

Sorry about the music, I had the ABC on and some old stuff was playing. I do shut it off during the video and start boring you with my own voice though ;) Just too lazy to change stations lol.. didn't have me teef in either so my diction could be better :D .. and the windscreen could be cleaner.. etc etc

Bloody good value for 99 cents plus a phone holder/charger IMO.

Here's an example of the output file.. I hope to be a regular contributor of stupid driver videos soon lol

[video=youtube_share;Rf8JGMBcF8Q]http://youtu.be/Rf8JGMBcF8Q[/video]

Last edited:

mattyfaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Dakster that looks like an awesome app!! Might get it myself I think. Is it possible to hide some details? Longitude and Latitude I wouldn't really need etc.

Stevothedevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II MY12 SSV Redline
I'm picking one of those up this Tuesday from a local seller. He only started stocking them recently, before which he bought an eBay one and gave it a test. He compared the eBay one and the ones he bought directly from the manufacturer, and found that the eBay one was dodgy as. Sound crap, dynamic range crap, randomly corrupted video files where the car was turned off while recording. I hope yours is legit, I think my previous dash cam may have been a non-genuine ripoff of another brand because it did those things too.
Hi Stressball, I think Tues has come and gone. How is the camera??? I'm very interested in your opinion. Can you provide the contact details from your local seller if possible??
Cheers,
Stevo

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Dakster that looks like an awesome app!! Might get it myself I think. Is it possible to hide some details? Longitude and Latitude I wouldn't really need etc.

Not that I can see mate. I still haven't got around to buying a phone holder to start using it regularly, but had a thorough look at options and I don't think you can.

Stevothedevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II MY12 SSV Redline
I'm picking one of those up this Tuesday from a local seller. He only started stocking them recently, before which he bought an eBay one and gave it a test. He compared the eBay one and the ones he bought directly from the manufacturer, and found that the eBay one was dodgy as. Sound crap, dynamic range crap, randomly corrupted video files where the car was turned off while recording. I hope yours is legit, I think my previous dash cam may have been a non-genuine ripoff of another brand because it did those things too.

Hi guys, I purchased one arrived today.
20121203_133332.jpg

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Cool. Needs something in the photo for perspective, it looks huge lol..