Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car cuts out while driving

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Hey guys,

Haha so ended up getting my harmonic balancer off and to replace my CAS but turns out it's not what's wrong with my car

My car just cuts out while driving then cranks but wont start a couple times then will randomly start back up. Seems to happen when I want to give it to it abit but if I nanna it around seems to not happen?
Well that's what I've noticed anyways.

Any help on what would be causing this would be bloody amazing guys! It's pissing right off now

I've replaced my battery and CAS today. But been told it could be my ignition coil, ignition module or the alternator but I honestly have no idea why it's doing it.
Help would really be appreciated

Cheers guys!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Does it die going round round abouts if so the fuel pump is sucking air

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Nah I can go round round abouts it mostly dies going straight just after giving it to it abit and letting off but yeah if i drive like a nanna it doesn't seem to cut out, it's honestly got me stumped

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
One Coil wouldn't stall the car it has 4 more cylinders if one coil goes bad, it will run like crap though.
Its a matter of ruling out fuel or spark, maybe start by having a look under the hood in the dark and see if you can see any Christmas lights around the plugs and leads.
My VR did similar to that it was the fuel pump, these things its a matter of ruling things out.
Things to check:
fuel rail pressure.
DFI and coils and leads these can be tested with a multimeter.
check fault codes.

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Hey mate I've changed my fuel pump and furl filter like not even a year ago. I took my coils off and had a look they all clean and ****. I've done the codes and only code that comes up is code 12 which is system pass yeah? I took my dfi out to do the CAS and chucked it back in once I was done but had the problem couple days before replacing CAS. The car will just cut out then be a prick to start sometimes or sometimes it'll start straight back up but will cut back out further down road.

Is anyone on here around the Mandurah area in Perth? Surely someone is and could give us a hand in person

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
The car will just cut out then be a prick to start sometimes or sometimes it'll start straight back up but will cut back out further down road.
that sounds exactly what my vs did and my vr was similar sometimes cut out cursing on the highway, it would fire back up straight away other times wait 10 minutes and good to go. if you can borrow a dfi module off another car swap it with the one on your car and see if it plays up again. these things can be annoying/difficult to diagnose sometimes

Brodie. 97

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 commodore
Okay mate will try borrow another dfi. Yeah this thing is starting to do my head in ahaha codes are telling me everything is fine
Will try going over it again today and see how it goes.