Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car key buttons not working

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Do you only have one remote?
It would be good to have a spare. In case you might lose one or to confirm that is the problem.

Ryan83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SERIES 1
I believe there are test tools that can determine the key battery level, code and signal strength (of the two signalling systems) the VF key provides. Holden should have such tools and should be able to fully test that the key operates without issue… Supposedly such test tools can also verify the vehicle signal reception systems work as designed and with the correct sensitivity.

As is, there are a few modules involved in the Passive Keyless Entry and Start (PKES) system used on our VF’s. The VF workshop manual (can be found on these forums via Google) goes into some detail about yne system, but iirc there is a module on the rear parcel shelf, I think one in the boot and there are either small modules or antennas on each side of the car… These modules are interconnected via CAN bus which adds complexity to fault finding… All modules need to be functioning 100%, all wiring needs to be functioning 100%. And if one installs a VHF/UHF radio in their car, they need to be mindful of wire routing and shielding…

Heck, DiagnoseDan had one complex vehicle no start condition which other shops couldn’t resolve and which was caused by a door handle switch module fault…

Intermittent faults are a PITA :mad:

I had my car at the holden dealship yesterday (for a recall issue), asked them to test my central locking they just tested it said it worked and did no further diagnosis.

Ryan83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SERIES 1
Thought the Sv6 was a keyed model? Mine recently came up on the dash that the battery was at 0% in the key. (Didn’t think it would do that because its an Evoke with the key system). I tested the button cell and it still had 3v so I didn’t believe the car and set off on my holiday. Sure enough, days after the key didn’t work standing right next to the door and I had to use the door cylinder until I got home. For the price of a button cell, just try changing it.

I changed the battery September/October 2019, that's 16 months ago, do you reckon I should change it again?

Ryan83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SERIES 1
Do you only have one remote?
It would be good to have a spare. In case you might lose one or to confirm that is the problem.

I got a spare made, it's aftermarket, When I try both, neither will work when it's not working. Also there seems to be a delay, it's not very responsive.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I would rule out interference first.
A simple wireless doorbell can screw with it.

So much chinese crap these days run on the 433 band it causes all sorts of issues.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
I would rule out interference first.
A simple wireless doorbell can screw with it.

So much chinese crap these days run on the 433 band it causes all sorts of issues.
Nice looking ride Warwick, put it into storage, you’ll miss it later on
I had a similar issues a few years back, the remote would not open the car even the garage door remote would not work , I had to open the car with the “key” and start and open the garage roller door manually, this happened intermittently over a 6 month period, could only put it down to some sort of interference , maybe UFO above !!!, has not happened now for years

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I had my car at the holden dealship yesterday (for a recall issue), asked them to test my central locking they just tested it said it worked and did no further diagnosis.
Holden may not be so interested in resolving intermittent issues, especially when electronics are involved and their are workarounds to the issue (I.e. you can use your key).

Their test may have been to simply press the key fob button and if central locking worked ok, no fault found. If you’re lucky maybe they pressed the button a few times :p:p:p

Having the tools (or access to the tools) and having a desire to use them aren’t the same thing :(

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
When I moved in to my new place it had.metallic streamers hanging from the carport.
Supposedly they ward off UFOs.
They must work because I've never seen one yet.
I'm not game to take them down.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
in the center console there is a key fob holder,
that is supposed to be used monthly to update the key fob with new codes.

location is left of the USB, simply place for five minutes the DIC will let you know when finnished..