Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car repairmen can be some of the sleaziest people

green5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs senator 5.7
i now take my gf car to get serviced and things done because the seem to charge her alot more than the do me and they do things to her car that she didnt ask to be done and charge her for that aswell

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I have seen this with Toyota Surfs and the horror storys that come from owners.

Well, thats the problem right there....They own a Toyota Surf. Absolute **** boxes, why can't they just buy a Hilux FFS? We know a fair bit about them and we still shudder when we see one come in the door. In fact, we've got one in our shop right now with a stuffed engine....

Not all mechanics are rogues, it's more the minority IMO.

VS-S-PACK-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
The last time i got a service the mechanic said that my front rotors were undersize .I asked him if he took the wheel off to check , when he said yes ,i pulled out the lock nut key for the wheels and said **** , how did you do that ? He didn't know what to say .

LMAO, fair to say the mechanic woulda instantly regretted sayin that.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I trust the blokes at my Holden Dealer, always ring me and checks to see if i want to spend this much to replace parts and if something else needs to be replaced. I do all servicing my self, brakes, shocks etc, but i had to get my engine mounts replaced on the weekend, and had them done in about 50 mins, bit expensive but get good customer service from them, And they ring me a week latter to check if everything is going well, I took the VR into them for a trans flush as i did not have the time to do my self, and told me other stuff that had to be done and was recommended, But they don't just do it like a lot of other service centres, And you can even watch them work on ya car through the waiting room windows

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I had some springs changed on my earlier car and the knuckle heads wound on the nuts by a turn or two and never tightened them. I wondered why the car felt strange and made a massive bang when going over bumps! Needless to say i wouldn't trust them again for that line of work.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
My ex hubby has always been my mechanic (until now) and a good one at that :p BUT it was more the stories he came home with :hmmm:

One of the more tame ones.... Ex hubby was under a car working on it and looked over towards the entry door for the workshop and there was a chick, in her early to late 40's dropping off her car (a fairly nice WH Stato) and she realised one of the other boys was looking at her (He was similar in age and recently separated), so she then bent over in front of them after pretending to drop her keys, no undies+short skirt= breakfast for all.

Had to hi5 his boss who called her to say that her car was ready to be collected and said "Could you please wear undies this time, your distracting my workers" ex hubby said he was disgusted.... Unlikely but still GROSS!

I have never been ripped off or know anyone else who has, I have had a huge amount of people whinge about quotes etc but then told them what we could do it for (when we had our business) and that was it.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
They are not all bad.................but it does seem hard to find a good honest one.

I use a guy in Castle Hill. So far he has been quite straight with me and his workshop is always busy.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
when i had my magna back in the day while i was young and stupid, wait i still am, i was driving with a few mates, and needed to do a u turn so i proceeded to do one, and anyway subs going tvs playing, neons lgihting up and everything, i didnt pay attention to the ditch i was driving into, anywho i tore p a pretty fair bit of my underbelly, i didnt know to much about cars, so i took it to kmart repair right, stupidest thing i ever done, anyway i was doing an 8 hour shift just on the opposite side of the centre were they were, i put my car in when i strted work, and picked it up when i finished, so 8 hours labor right, wrong they cahrged me for 32 hours work, but i was young and had heaps of money to throw away so i didnt really take any notice. all that was needed was to repair the power steering arm and fluid for it, effing tossers

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Well, thats the problem right there....They own a Toyota Surf. Absolute **** boxes, why can't they just buy a Hilux FFS? We know a fair bit about them and we still shudder (Then honestly, you should not be shuddering at all!) when we see one come in the door. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm known to be be a Surf Guru and I suggest you ring the owner and tell them the truth, "Burn the thing!"

Not all mechanics are rogues, it's more the minority IMO.
I agree totally that there is the minority factor of those in the trade that can take advantage of people that own Surfs, as an example.

I currently have a Surf with V6 Commo engine and it is still a nightmare, because of the way it was converted for the previous owner by a thieving licensed mechanic!

Water hose used for fuel line, loose driveshaft bolts, leaking custom radiator, bodgey auto shift position indicator, wires from engine loom rubbing on steering arm, Scotch locks used to join important wiring, I can't remember anymore things, but it's a non-stop maintenance ordeal!

As for my Hilux I converted myself 15 years ago, no real dramas, apart from smashing gear boxes and diffs and using the wrong coolant.

As for the question about why people don't buya Hilux, you can lead a horse to water, but ......... When desk Jockies go to a used car dealer (scum), they want the most options available for their money!

Last edited: