Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car running hot has issues.

KLatham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
Gday,

My VL has issues whenever I take it for a longer drive or even a short drive in summer. It wont start after I shut it off - but if I wait awhile it starts again.

I'm thinking its Fuel vaporisation, because when I try to start it when its hot it will make pumping noises but wont kick.

I'm kinda new to all mechanical side of things, but I understand that the VL has 2 fuel pumps and one is in the actual fuel tank...?

How much would it be to get the two pumps and the fuel lines replaced?

Unless anyone knows that it is another problem.

Cheers.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the internal pump is about $80, external about $180-$200.... would also be worth getting your fuel pressure regulator checked out first cos if thats playing up there wont be enough fuel pressure in the rails to properly atomise when injected into the cylinder

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Get the Crank Angle sensor checked out. They always **** up on VL's. It would be wise to get it changed over now anyway as it will soon stuff up and leave you stranded at the lights....

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
if you can hear the pumps working then there ok ? but for a new bosch pump about$230 inside pump 140-150 use a bosch pump i had probs with others

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
the internal pump is about $80, external about $180-$200.... would also be worth getting your fuel pressure regulator checked out first cos if thats playing up there wont be enough fuel pressure in the rails to properly atomise when injected into the cylinder

you must have good contacts lol:thumbsup::thumbsup:

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
a possible cause is kinking of a rubber fuel hose, have a look at the back of the fuel tank and see if theres a long length of rubber hose, the original hose is no longer available and holden recommends replacing it as above

problem is this hose can kink shut from heat coming back from the engine softening the rubber, the engine stops but after a while the rubber cools and the hose unkinks itself, the cure is to support the hose by running it thru a wider tube so it cant kink

if you cant see what Im getting at, think of a garden hose where the water stops when the hose is bent back tight