Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car sitting for 6 months, how to protect motor when starting? Any Tips

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
HEY everyone ive been working on my car doing multiple maintanace, and also got the flu, so the car has been sitting for a long time. Just recharging battery and double checking every thing, respraying sensors etc.

Is there any way to start it to protect the motor, ive read spraying WD40 in cylinders to protect seals and all sorts so was hoping for some real advice from you guys who own commodores.

Changed oil, oil filter, trans oil, coolant so fluids all full, also have some lucas fuel treatment in tank.

Cheers in advance

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
If anything I'd expect WD-40 to be a big no-no as it dries out.

I'd say remove the plugs and drop a bit of oil in there (not much maybe a few mil).

Grab a charger that's designed for long term too like this one, they can be hooked up while the battery is still connected and left on.

Projecta Battery Charger - 12 Volt, 1600mA - Supercheap Auto Australia

oh and leave the handbrake off and you may need to lift it off the tyres (not right up in the air just take the pressure off the tyres).

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Thanks heaps hey really appreciate it, im real excited about starting it, have cleaned injectors, new fluids , changed over so many new parts plus the bushings and engine mounts which i will never do again!

Thanks again mpower!!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Thanks heaps hey really appreciate it, im real excited about starting it, have cleaned injectors, new fluids , changed over so many new parts plus the bushings and engine mounts which i will never do again!

Thanks again mpower!!

oh, lol just realised it's already been sitting not about to sit.

you may want to ignore some of my advice it's for those about to store.

Don't ask, I don't know how I misread that.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Yeah i wasnt expecting it to sit hey it just took so long and i got the flu so just seeing if i can prevent any damage or prevent any more problems for the future when i do start it, cheers for repling though! :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
As long as it's dry and inside it should be fine. You can pull the CAS plug when you go to start it up and prime the oil, that's about it.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Charge battery. Fire it up and keep it on a high idle for a couple of minutes then drive.

I had a VS back last century that sat idle twice for six months when we lived in the U.S. Did just that and had no issues.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Was all good My alternator was dead after a long drive the battery slowly drained but was ok, did all the tests and the alternator needs changing, the brakes felt a bit rough at the start but are freeing up now, and definatly had the wheel alignment straight away as i did work underneath with bushings. Cheers for replys!

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Rough brakes would have been surface rust on rotors which wore off with use.