Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car start without fuel?

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
Hello people....Sucks for me to say, my car has still been having problems starting...I started it today and it was fine, went to my mums, was there a few hours, it nearly didn't start but did click over, and now I've come home, and it won't start again :s

Starter motor (SHOULD be fine, highly doubt 4 starter motors have been dead...)
Battery is fine, sitting near 13V
Alternator runs fine, so battery is being charged.

For a while now, I have been able to hear my fuel pump before I start the car, as well as when I turn the car off, sometimes the pump will continue to buss for around 10 seconds...

Although, I am not sure if this could be a factor to why that car won't start, unless there is some other mechanical problem it could be.

All it does is sit there and click...

Thank you for any help.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
starter motor wire getting hot and not being able to cunduct the current, that would explain why it dosent want to start after its been driven somewhere

over.05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0lt
Maybe your fuel pump could be playing up

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
could be ur fuel pump, or starter motor...or is the engine gettin enough spark?mayb it would be worth it to get a mechanic to look at it..

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
If your sure the starter is fine then i would be having a look at the cable and the battery. My first check would be the engine earth and the chasis to battery earth cable. The battery may not be outputting enough cranking amps. Can you swap your battery for somones to test it out. Check the lugs arnt burnt where it is crimped on and that you battery terminals are clean too. Take them off and check incase there is a thin film or corrossion.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
did the vp have a CAS? if so look at that. Also look at the injectors, fuel pump, MAP sensor etc.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Could be something as simple as a dodgy relay. Try giving the starter relay a tap (or swap it with another one) next time it plays up.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
ok im a little confused:
1) when you turn the key does the engine turn over?
2) if the engine turns over do you have injector pulse?
3) how long since the last service? look for dodgy HT leads and spark plug damage etc.
4) Its normal for the fuel pump to prime before the car is started.
5) has you done any of your "electrical" work to the car recently?
6) The battery may have lost a cell, the voltage will still peak around 13-15v, but you will be down on CCA, and the charge from the alternator will be ineffective.
7) when you rev the engine do the headlights etc get brighter then dimer when the revs are dropped? If so then maybe the bridge rectifier or the regulator on the alternator have died.
8) maybe all your lights are draining the power.
9) maybe if you didnt drive like a dick then your car wouldnt brake down (and yes im sure you will say something like "i dont drive like that all the time" but the only times i have seen you driving you have done something stupid)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, I've got no idea what's going on. :p Poorest explanation ever.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Yeah, I've got no idea what's going on. :p Poorest explanation ever.

My understanding is and what id posted for reply was to do with a sluggish stalling starter motor, but it is definatly touch and go with the explenation there