Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Tracking and Theft

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Can I ask how many VE VF commodores have been stolen with out stealing the keys? I ll bet you all the number is bugger all.
With parts prices being so high, it wouldn't surprise me if crooks use a flat bed. They'd just need to drag the car up and off to the breaking site they go and the car is never to be seen again :oops:

After all car theft isn't just teens going on joy rides or doing smash and grabs o_O which is why even Autel may be is going to subscrition based model and certification for access to security programing on their diagnostic systems :(

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Can I ask how many VE VF commodores have been stolen with out stealing the keys? I ll bet you all the number is bugger all.

I think you might be surprised - in a bad way. There seems to be a lot of stealing happening without the keys. There have been a few threads on this already. Essentially, the security system isn’t all that secure after all.

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That is more applicable to VF's, rather than VE's.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
With parts prices being so high, it wouldn't surprise me if crooks use a flat bed. They'd just need to drag the car up and off to the breaking site they go and the car is never to be seen again :oops:

After all car theft isn't just teens going on joy rides or doing smash and grabs o_O which is why even Autel may be is going to subscrition based model and certification for access to security programing on their diagnostic systems :(
It's hard to apply Rule .303 if your car is parked out the front or in the driveway, especially if your neighbors are close.
That's when Rule 12 gauge becomes effective... :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's hard to apply Rule .303 if your car is parked out the front or in the driveway, especially if your neighbors are close.
That's when Rule 12 gauge becomes effective... :cool:
Maybe in america it's ok to defend life and property

and in the USA it's probably not a good idea to try stuff on a vet

but using excessive force to protecting property is a very risky strategy down under :oops:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe in america it's ok to defend life and property

and in the USA it's probably not a good idea to try stuff on a vet

but using excessive force to protecting property is a very risky strategy down under :oops:
Use enough gun, and no one can testify! :cool:

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I have done exactly the same.
Best/Cheap form of tracking with no additional on going costs.
A friend had his torana stolen a few weeks ago. He had an air tag in it. He said the down side was the tag only gave him an update every 15min. Most other other trackers are 10-60sec. Mine cost $140 then $20 for their software for a lifetime then $15 per yr to charge ALDI sim. The torana was recovered that afternoon.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
With the club lock I try to get the thing extended as far as possible to eliminate 'wiggle room'.
This does cause the thing to jam when unlocking, needing to be further extended for the key to turn, abit like the steering lock.
I wonder if that was the case with old mate and his Prolock...

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I also use Prolocks in my cars, which I also extend as far as possible, I have the same problem as you and tend to need to play with it to get the lock to engage when unlocking. Sadly as it seems real Club locks are no longer available in Australia these are probably our best bet.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
With the club lock I try to get the thing extended as far as possible to eliminate 'wiggle room'.
I also use Prolocks in my cars, which I also extend as far as possible, I have the same problem as you and tend to need to play with it to get the lock to engage when unlocking.
Mine is the same 'problem', the last hole is bit too tight, and backing of to the next hole leaves slack. Don't think it matters.
A potential thief would need the physical strength of Superman to bend the U shaped fingers, but tight or loose doesn't matter to power tools.

I still have an original (unknown brand) lock from way back when, just a hook at each end.
One hook through the hole in the GTS steering wheel spokes, the other over the brake or clutch pedal.
A flimsy museum piece now, but must have been enough deterrent back then.