Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carby VK not starting...getting spark & fuel

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
what carby is it running? if holley, does it have the blowback valve, or is it an early one? later holleys hae this little ball bearing inside that protects the power valve from backfires. if the ball isnt there the diaphram pops and fuel just flows into the engine.

also still need to know what coil you put on it. if the spark is dull, then it maybe the wrong type.

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
will sus out the holley as it is an older 320 holley and was just recond, but there was a pop type sound.

Coil is exact copy of old one (mate in autobarn got correct one for me)

I have been checking all leeds etc and resitance on them and seem good as they are new also (compared the readings to the older leeds)

spark seems pretty good when I tried a diff test spark plug (the old gregory's giude said to have a 6mm gap and this is too big for testing, but on normal gapping it gets good spark)

I will talk to my mate who is a holley guru and get him to sus that out

oh and I re-soldered wire joins and still no go.

thanks

j

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
update;
still not going.
spoke to another mech and he is stumped too, but suggested I see how far spark is jumping from leed to earth, so tried that and getting strong blue spark jumping a good inch from end of leed. So I am starting to think I should get holley looked at again and pull her apart??

checked all leeds, tried advanced and retarded timing, new plugs again (NGK) all gapped etc, still nothing!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH

j

brutal

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH
I tried some Bosch plugs and it ran then crapped itself after 5 seconds. and now wont start. It cranks and sounds like it wants to start but no go.

I have a similar problem with me old VC. 253 (blue), elec dizzy

It started of it would run for a few minutes then die and not start again until a few days later. Now it just wont start!
I have replaced lots of the things you have mentioned, but there are a few other things that i will try.

The only hint i have is the 'fast idle' device thingy, which i previously (years ago) noticed would kill the engine if diconeected. I have heard you can bypass it, but it might be quicker just to try a new part!

Very interested to see how you solve your probs! :)

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
cant use timing light as it wont start to be able to check timing. But whether I have it set as it was, advanced or retarded it makes no diff and still wont start.

if something has happened to the bottom cog of dizzy would it result in the rotor button moving freely? or should I pull whole dizzy out and check.

I also spoke to a mate who mentioned the 'pick up' in dizzy but that they don't make them so would eed a whole new dizzy...is this right? as I already replaced module etc

j

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you can use the timing light whether it starts or not. as long as a pulse travells down the lead, the light will flash so even when your cranking it itll still flash. an other good easy test would be to put the timing light on each lead and just watch to see if the timing light lights up. if the light doesnt flash, then there is something not working.

that bottom cog could cause all sorts of problems if its worn, but seriously.. check with the timing light before you pull anything out. it really sounds like your timing is way off.

pick ups in dizzys are a magnet and a trigger wheel, chances of breaking: very slim.

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
I thought timing too, but it was never changed when this car just went pop and stopped.
Also I have tried moving the timing to all sorts of advances from one extreme to the other (and I mean extreme) and none still start car.
I am getting holley checked out by mate as there seems to be a lot of fuel getting to plugs (soaked when I check them) but I am getting good 1 inch long blue spark out end of leeds and new plugs in too.
I have checked for vacumm leaks but will go over her again.
There is no EGR valave etc as all that was off when extractors were on car etc (and all running fine)
Is there any other mech possible causes for this? Am I right in saying there is no timing belt in these old girls? is there any other things that can change timing? ie any mech breakages etc?
any other possibilties??? as I am stumped.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
there is a timing chain (dont know 6's so could be wrong) which if broken will cause all sorts of issues.

im still gonna bet the timing is out. im serious i will give you 100... 50.... ok 20 bucks if you get a light and the timing is accurate. ok, how bout this, buy a timing light and if im wrong i will pay for the light. no sh1t.

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
LOL,
I will get a mate to come do it for me as I have no idea on timing old cars and he will show me.... thanks mate