Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carby VK not starting...getting spark & fuel

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
its easy. get one of these:
Inductive Xenon Bright Car Timing Light Tool 12 volt - eBay Other, Tools, Car, Truck Parts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 17-Oct-10 11:07:34 AEDST)

one lead gos to battery + one to - and when pulse current goes from the dizzy to the spark plug, the timing light picks it up and flashes. its nothing special, no fancy light show, it just lights up everytime electricity passes through the lead and the timing lights inductive coil.

and i swaer to god, cross my heart, if im wrong, you get a free timing light

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
No chain in sixes, have gears. Cam one is fiber and tends to chew on early girls but not common on later ones. If the dizzy still spins the gears are right. Try running it on aerostart or something. Check your leads for shorts ect, i have a funny problem with my saw bench engine atm, its an old 161 red motor and will have a dead miss if you plug the lead on fully but will run fine if you just sit the lead on top of the plug without pushing it down very weird. Check your dizzy earth and power wires. Try disconnecting the fuel line before the pump as the float in the carb maybe overfilling it poring fuel down the throat and choking it (never touched a holley so i dont know where the fuel goes if they get to full) If its almost starting just keep it planted as suggested above, any smoke? Do a compression test if your still having troubles.

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
has new leeds and plugs (resistance checked all leeds and good), new dizzy cap, new coil, all connections checked, new module, getting good blue spark out end of leeds. So I am looking elsewhere now, and a mate is going to look at Holley over weekend as the plugs are getting soaked in fuel, but no ignition.
Have not compression tested but would all 6 cyclinders go at once? as it was purring before it shat itself.
PS checked float level and mixture level on carby before I took it off and all good, (Holley has a float sight on side and perfect level as per Holley instructions). But mate is a holley nut so still going to check it for me.
thanks
j

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
its easy. get one of these:
Inductive Xenon Bright Car Timing Light Tool 12 volt - eBay Other, Tools, Car, Truck Parts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 17-Oct-10 11:07:34 AEDST)

one lead gos to battery + one to - and when pulse current goes from the dizzy to the spark plug, the timing light picks it up and flashes. its nothing special, no fancy light show, it just lights up everytime electricity passes through the lead and the timing lights inductive coil.

and i swaer to god, cross my heart, if im wrong, you get a free timing light

OK who do I send my address to for a free timing light?? LOL just kidding

My car is now going!!! and it turned out to be a loose screw in carby...flooding the engine.

It was the screw in mouth of holley that holds down the 'plunger' (or something like that) where the fuel actually squirts out of into throat of carby.

it was so loose fuel was just flooding even at idle, so all fixed and running. just need to re-tune the holley as got manula choke kit on it now.

WOOHOO

j

zaczac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Supercharged
dont worry not holding you too it ... LOL

just stoked the old girl is running again....now to re-set the timing!