Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cause of ticking

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I wouldn't think the injector ticking would be that bad in a ecotec (like the earlier Buick 3800 V6) because of the sequential injection. Which lifters are you running now and how much pre-load have you got?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Well see if it was something that EVERY ecotec did, I'd just have to live with it or sell the car. But some don't, so it cant be simply a design characteristic. I can't help but think, is there a way I can temporarily disable the PCV and just vent it to see if that is ticking?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm using "Nason" brand lifters. Apparently an aussie company, cost me about $150 for the set. I dont know how to determine preload, but i'm using the Yella Terra ultralite 1.6 RR's with the pushrods and pedestals supplied.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
how much have you skimmed the heads and decked the block? What thickness head gasket have you used? Ideally you would use a adjustable push rod to check the length required. Maybe contact the lifters supplier and ask what the recommended pre-load is suppose to be with there product.

What springs/retainers are you using? Have you checked for clearance between the rocker arm and spring retainer when the valve is on the seat?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skimming of the deck and heads was very minimal. I don't remember exact figures, but it was purely for an even surface, not to gain comp. Head gaskets are ACL monotorque.

Springs and retainers are 130 lb. Crow and LS1 retainers from MACE.

Yes I have a suspicion they may just be crap lifters. By inspect lifter crush do you mean measure it with a dial gauge? I haven't done that. Just to clarify, there is no "Zero lash plus half turn" business with this engines is there? Just bolt them down?

I'll rule out cracked exhaust manifold before I start diving into new internals. *again*.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Sounds like my ticking, just mines not as loud.. And you can hear it inside the car til about 3000+rpm and then it disapears as it's ticking too fast or the exhaust over goes the sound..

I dunno if yours is the same, but mine coming from the rear left of my engine, but everyone still reckons it's my injectors.. I thought it was a lifter straight up - which i hope not, but i'll try putting more crush on them as the pressure is fine..

edit: And mine didn't tick before i got the cam/lifters etc all done.. Well it sort of did, but it was a tiny tinggy tick all the ecotecs have, right now like yours is blown out of proportion lol.

Last edited:

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found something out today, I stuck it in 5th at 50km/h, obviously engine speed dropped to about 800 RPM but no ticking at all! It had never been quieter. Why does this occur, when it does tick at idle 800 RPM? Does the extra labour on the engine tighten up the valve train?