Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Centre muffler delete on V6?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
the 2.5inch center in the pic with the 2.5inch rear deletes sounded awesome to me but the wife didn't like the noise and the only drone was going up a hill doing about 60kmh anything above that speed was fine.

I had the 3inch manta mufflers on the stock center and it was very quiet almost silent when doing 100kmh and it never crackled on downshift
the center in the pic with the manta mufflers isn't as quiet as the stock center and it crackles a bit on downshift but its not a very loud crackle.

I still want the rear deletes because it made it sound awesome that's why I have to get bi modal mufflers so I can have it how I like and when the wife complains I can turn it off lol.

The note inside the car is very different to what it is outside the car. stooge, you may find that it actually sounds pretty good the way it is now outside.

Removing the centre muffler on a V6 will make it louder and raspier, not a great deal though. As said, the rears do the job of quietening it down. Very hard to get a V6 to sound the way you want it. It's a 6, they sound how they sound, whether you like the note or not, people need to get the whole "make it sound like a V8" idea out of their heads. It never will. Just like the old 12A and 13B rotaries in the RX's, they have a unique sound with a larger exhaust and there was no way to make them quiet without melting mufflers.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The note inside the car is very different to what it is outside the car. stooge, you may find that it actually sounds pretty good the way it is now outside.

yeah the note sounds heaps better with the mantas on its deeper/lower but it is much quieter, the deletes have a higher sounding note and make it sort of sound more like a v6 without mufflers but it is much louder and the wife hates it :banstick:.

I don't really like the note of the deletes, it would be nice to have the deep sound of the mantas with the volume of the deletes.
but for now I will just keep the mantas on until I get a cheap set of bi modals to try out... happy wife happy life lol.

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Centre muffler delete is done.

The exhaust shop did not want to do a H pipe so I've just got 2 straights. It's got a more aggressive tone, burbles more.

Around the 3-4K rev range with foot to the floor there is a very raspy, scratchy tone. I'm unsure whether this is something vibrating like a loose bolt, a leak, the valves in the bi modals or just the engine sounding like ****.

I'm going to ask the guy to change the 2 straights to a H or X pipe as there is a noticeable different with how the exhaust gasses pulse - there is a significant break in pressure.

I'll get a video of how it is now tonight.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
Centre muffler delete is done.

The exhaust shop did not want to do a H pipe so I've just got 2 straights. It's got a more aggressive tone, burbles more.

Around the 3-4K rev range with foot to the floor there is a very raspy, scratchy tone. I'm unsure whether this is something vibrating like a loose bolt, a leak, the valves in the bi modals or just the engine sounding like ****.

I'm going to ask the guy to change the 2 straights to a H or X pipe as there is a noticeable different with how the exhaust gasses pulse - there is a significant break in pressure.

I'll get a video of how it is now tonight.

How did your job go? I'm looking at getting exhaust on my SV6 done now.
No idea where to start.
Don't really see the need to get an Xforce or any other full cat back.

Just delete the crimping and hotdogs after my centre muffler. And new rears.

Predator9211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon
if i were you i'd get a full catback. Get rid of the center muffler and replace with hotdogs and then some rear mufflers of your choosing. Look on youtube to get an idea of which brand you want as they all sound a bit different. i personally got a custom X pipe made up with hotdogs in the middle and then redback mufflers off ebay. I wouldnt bother with cats or anything unless you really wanna sink lots of money into it but its not really worth it for the 6cyl. cost me a bit under 1000 bucks for my catback all up

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
I was thinking an XForce 2.5 with X pipe or the center muffler. Not sure
Headers too. Just not sure what type.

Just want a better (actually audible) sound. Plenty of induction sound with CAI.