Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

centre muffler repllacement?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
hey guy's, i picked up a cat back from the wreckers, which needs a little work first. The rear section, is absolutely perfect, but the centre section, needs a new muffler welded in. This is where i need help. I looked on Ebay, and they sell "Genuine Holden VZ CV8 hot dog mufflers" for under 30 bucks. Would one of these be ok for a replacement? Is a "hot dog" muffler, much different to the centre muffler thats already there? And finally, this system consits of the centre muffler only, with no rear muffler or resonator, will the hot dog make it rediculously loud?

Attachments

• dd88_1.JPG
    dd88_1.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 653

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
so in terms of flow/ performance, all straight pipe, and a hotdog in the centre, would be considered good?
or bad...My guess is it would be waaay to loud anyway, so i might have to see if i can find a decent centre muffler somewhere..

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
on my clubsport im runing twin 2.5" into a twin in/out resonator at the back. no centre mufflers, has a nice throaty note to it.

not sure on how no centre muffler on a v6 would go, im runing single 2.5" w/out rear resonator on my vn, and did so on my vp seems to sound okay. just make sure you are using a decent muffler, cheap ones will drone IMO

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As long as you don't have extractors it will not be too loud. Just make sure you reweld the bracket back on that holds the centre section up, as this is the only support apart from the hanger on the tail pipe.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well i'm going to head out today, to pick up a few bits and pieces, and i'll visit a few exhaust shops while im out. As i've never dealed with an exhaust system before, can someone tell me a decent price for a new centre muffler, and to have it welded in. Otherwise i can only go on what they tell me is a good price, and they'll porbably see me coming lol....and i got a feeling my cat could be blocked up a llittle, or damaged in some way, as there's a bit of a rattle to it,and also it appears to be the original.. Should get a cat from the wreckers, or a new one. How much should i expect to pay for that. Thanks for all the help guys', i just hate going in somewhere to buy a part, without knowing a whole lot about it, because it seems these days everyone will rip you off if you give them half a chance !!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
new mufflers are about 30-60 bucks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It depends on the style, but a new muffler could be anywhere from $30 to $250. A bolt on new cat would be around $150.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
For the muffler price, i think i'd probably rather just order one of those VZ hot dog mufflers as pictured above..If its too niosy, i guess i can always add something to the rear section to quite it down a little more..