Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing light bulbs in VT/VX instrument cluster

prockter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commondore Sedan 1998
it worked, thanks mate...where the hell do you get the globe from? i want a blue one

kid_720datto

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Hilux V6
Does anyone know what size LEDs are required for the air con unit. T5 wedges for the cluster right?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
depends which unit u have? theres 3 different manual heater control units and then theres a climate unit. best way 2 find out is 2 have a look at the back of the unit or look inside and see wat PCB board is inside.

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
Hi, having trouble getting to the auto gear shifter globe... ive pulled out the centre console, but then where is the globe? how do i move the gear shift surround?...i didnt want to try too hard and break something. Thanks for any help

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
Hi, having trouble getting to the auto gear shifter globe... ive pulled out the centre console, but then where is the globe? how do i move the gear shift surround?...i didnt want to try too hard and break something. Thanks for any help

Bump... can anyone answer this?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Bump... can anyone answer this?

u dont need 2 remove the auto shift surround that can stay put. the globe is directly behind the line PRND123 part under the auto shift surround and u can get 2 the globe from there, u just gotta twist the globe socket out, its a brown T10 size socket so quite big u can miss it.

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
u dont need 2 remove the auto shift surround that can stay put. the globe is directly behind the line PRND123 part under the auto shift surround and u can get 2 the globe from there, u just gotta twist the globe socket out, its a brown T10 size socket so quite big u can miss it.

oh ok sweet ill try it tomorrow

lorax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Aclaim Wagon
Changing the light bulbs in cabin environment control cluster

I finally decided to fix the bulbs around the cabin enviroment controls (A/C, blower fan speed, vent selector, etc). I found this thread very useful in guiding me on what to do. As payback I decided to record the process I went through hoping that it would be useful to others.

Step 1. Remove loose items (phone holder, cigarette lighter, coins, etc).
It's very easy for smaller items to fall into places from which they are difficult to retrieve.
A.jpg

Step 2. Drop the steering wheel down.
This will make it easier to remove the panel around the speedo.
AA.jpg

Step 3. Make audio unit removal tool.
These can be made out of a steel wire coat hanger.
B.jpg

Use the holes on the front of the audio unit to determine the length required. Make the legs approximately 5cm. The tool need to penetrate deep enough to push back the restraining clips on the sides of the audio unit.
C.jpg

Insert the removal tools (one each side) and apply slight outward pressure while pulling the unit out of the dash board.
D.jpg

Once the unit is completely removed, disconnect the antenna and audio unit connectors. Put the audio unit out of the way. N.B. You will need the security code to re-enable the audio unit when it is reinstalled.
E.jpg

Step 4. Remove the screws around the cigarette lighter socket.
Use a phillips head screw driver.
F.jpg

Step 5. Remove the section around the automatic gear shifter.
This section is held in by spring clips. Simply apply pressure to remove.
G.jpg

Top view of the gear shifter panel.
H.jpg

Bottom view of the gear shifter panel.
I.jpg

Step 6. Remove the storage unit below the audio unit.
J.jpg

View of removed storage unit.
K.jpg

View of progress so far.
L.jpg

Step 7. Remove screws around speedo panel.
There are 2 screws at the top of the panel.
M.jpg

One screw at the bottom left.
N.jpg

One screw at the bottom right.
O.jpg

Step 8. Remove the section around the speedo.
Like the section around the automatic gear shifter, this section is held in by spring clips. Simply apply pressure to remove.
N.B. THERE ARE SEVERAL ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS THAT NEED TO BE DISCONNECTED PRIOR TO COMPLETE REMOVAL.
P.jpg

Electrical connector 1.
Q.jpg

Electrical connector 2.
R.jpg

Electrical connector 3.
S.jpg

Removed speedo panel.
T.jpg

Make sure you realign the spring clips for reassembly.
U.jpg

Exposed cabin environment control cluster.
V.jpg

Exposed automatic gear shifter area.
VA.jpg

Step 9. Remove the cabin environment control cluster.
Disconnect the wiring loom shown on the top left of the photo. The unit is then held in place by 6 plastic tabs. Simply lift each tab and pull the unit away from the dashboard slightly.
W.jpg

Once the unit is removed the dashboard should look like this.
X.jpg

Step 10. Replace blown globes.
To remove the blown globes use a flat screw driver to rotate the globe holder (black circle with cross on it) half a turn anticlock wise, then lift out.
Bottom left on the photo shows a keyed socket where a bulb holder it to be fitted.
The replacement bulbs (complete with blub holder) can be purchased from Holden for approximately $10 each.
Replacement bulbs without the bulbholder can be purchased from Jaycar Electronics for approximately $4 each.
Y.jpg

Step 11. Put it all back together.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
Thanks lorax, thats awesome

What type of bulbs are in the a/c unit? Whats the easiest way to change them with blue leds? assuming holden dont sell blue bulb... do u have to solder the bulbs for jaycar into the old bulb holders?

Last edited: