Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing of spark plugs

steak000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Calais
hi guys going to change my spark plugs 2moro and only like ever watched someone doing it 4 me, can someone please tell me how, from rememberance u take out the spark plug connecter and then unscrew em, what about gapping i have no idea?? hopefully someone can help, cheers steak000

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do it with a cold engine...and don't pull on the lead - pull on the plug cover. Do one at a time so you don't get the leads mixed up. Make sure there is no crap - sand/crap etc around where the plug screws in so that it doesn't fall into the combustion chamber when you screw the plug out. Make sure and use a plug spanner - usually a tube spanner and keep it straight so you don't break the porcelain. If the nose electrode has a rounded end instead of a straight cutoff it indicates the plugs have done some miles so it may pay to replace them. Recommended gap is 1.5mm though I gap them to 1.0mm for no reason other than I like it and my plugs last 100,000km.
Good Luck.

steak000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Calais
how do i know that the gap is at 1.5 to 1mm??

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
you will need a guage feeler. looks like a pocket knife with lots of blunt blades used for measuring. Each blade has a different width and is clearly labeled. So pick out the 1.5mm blade and use it to measure the gap in the plug.

steak000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Calais
arrrhh so u place the tool unbetween the gap and if the gap is too big to reduce the gap do i bang the plug on a straight surface to reduce that gap??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Bang gently....or use something hard to tap it so it bends....its reasonable soft to bend.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
A steel post on your veranda is good for tapping on. If your feeler gauge dosnt have a 1.5mm like mine, just put a 1mm and .5mm together. If you have any "anti seize", put a small amount on the thread before putting them back in, as it makes them easier to get out next time. ALWAYS put them in with your fingers first till they go in a few turns, i know that might be obviouse, but i have a mate who used a socket staight up on his lawn mower and crossed threaded it and even that was a pain to fix.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Do not over tighten the plugs. If you don't have a tension wrench, screw the plug in gently until it stops and the turn about another 30 degrees.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Also using a 1 foot piece of garden hose to replace the plugs so it's almost impossible to cross thread them is great, just slip it ( G/HOSE) over the top of the plug and gently screw it in, when it's tight enough the hose will "slip"and will no tighten any more, now grab ya rachet and tighten it up snug.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If you dont have a feeler gauge you can pick them up fairly cheap. If you cant be bothered though, I have always found the bosch (I think theyre bosch) from supercheap, are already spot on and I have never had to adjust.