Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Rear Brakes on VT

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
I change the front brake pads on my VT, just to see how easy it was. And it was. So now Im doing the back. However, I cant push the piston in. Is there a special tool needed because of the handbrake? Is it usually harder or do I need to release the handbrake?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
I change the front brake pads on my VT, just to see how easy it was. And it was. So now Im doing the back. However, I cant push the piston in. Is there a special tool needed because of the handbrake? Is it usually harder or do I need to release the handbrake?

if you're just doing the pads use an old pad and a G-clamp to push the piston back in

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Ill get a better clamp. It seems really, really tight. I thought maybe the handbrake was connected somehow

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Screw driver on The old pad n lever on the disk. Mini pry bar works too

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Hand brake is mechanical and nothing to do with the hydraulic caliper. Two separate systems. Just make sure that you are pushing the piston back in square. If the pads were really worn, the piston may be cocked over in its cylinder, jambing it.

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Solved. I used a g clamp. It was so tight it broke the end off it lol. I was quoted $640 for new brakes and rotors, did it for under $200. Damn mechanics.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Wow $640 just for rear pads and rotors, they must of loved your asshole. Lucky you didn't bend over.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
640$ wow, i would not go back there for prices like that.

were they going to throw some brembo ones on the rear for that price? lol

Cameron23cn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Picked up a VT recently an doing some work on it now, and finally getting to the rear pads as they need replacing. any key fundamentals I need to know about. Saw something about opening the cap off the brake fluid before compressing the pistons... don't really wanna screw up my brakes hah. any assistance would be helpful, cheers.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
This is easy and for some handy step by step video instructional assistance I find YouTube very handy.
I've replaced our pads a couple of times and haven't removed the reservoir cap but I do remove the complete caliper assembly to give everything a decent cleaning and to check the rubbers and to clean and regrease the slides. What I use to compress the piston thingy is a metalworking G clamp with an end that fits inside the piston and compress slowly and its that easy.

Attachments

• Front Brake 2.JPG
    Front Brake 2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 721
  • Rear Brake 1.JPG
    Rear Brake 1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited: