Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing rear springs vyss

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
Wanting some advise on changing rear springs on a vyss.How to take them out and replace with new ones.:D

Cheers Richie

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Wanting some advise on changing rear springs on a vyss.How to take them out and replace with new ones.:D

Cheers Richie

Easy.. I'm assuming its the same as a VT, jack the rear up, take handbrake off, unbolt the shocks from the bottom mounts, and the springs will come out with a bit of persuasion.

Install new springs, and you will have to jack the trailing arms back up until its back inline with the shock, bolt both shocks back up and lower the car back to the ground..

I found it much easier with the wheel removed.

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
Easy.. I'm assuming its the same as a VT, jack the rear up, take handbrake off, unbolt the shocks from the bottom mounts, and the springs will come out with a bit of persuasion.

Install new springs, and you will have to jack the trailing arms back up until its back inline with the shock, bolt both shocks back up and lower the car back to the ground..

I found it much easier with the wheel removed.

How do you take the handbrake off? Do you mean release the handbrake?

Thanks Richie

Last edited:

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
Might as well replace the shocks at the same time.Do you need to take the top plate off to get the shocks out or can you undo the bolt at the top of the shock inside the boot?

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Mate, for your safety and everyone elses, if your asking how to do it with suspension and brakes, just pay someone the $40 to do it, aty least you know it's then done right and you won't kill someone by doing it wrong.

Watch the person you pay, take note so you can do it yourself next time.....

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
Mate, for your safety and everyone elses, if your asking how to do it with suspension and brakes, just pay someone the $40 to do it, aty least you know it's then done right and you won't kill someone by doing it wrong.

Watch the person you pay, take note so you can do it yourself next time.....

I wish $40.Very helpful Skooby.

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
What? Im looking out for the safety intrests of everybody. The amount of cars I deal with on a weekly basis, where the DIY is just plain dodgy, is unbelieveable.

It does not takle long to do, Jack it up, and pull out the old ones and put in the new ones. I saw when they did mine (the rears springs only), and it took them no more than 15 minutes.

So $40, yeah.

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
if you have to do it your self then rasie the car put jackstands under the chassis rails then take the wheels off and put them under the sils use hydrolick jacks only scissor jacks are only for road side use when needed and even than they can be deadly i have herad a lot of stories of mechanics getting crushed useing good jacks so never work under cars with scissor jacks

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
o yea i have done some with the handbrake on up on the hoist but just realease the handbrake lever

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I don't think you can really go wrong by doing it yourself, if everything's tightened back up the way it was etc, then how can you "kill someone" by "doing it wrong" ?