Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing valley gaskets - what else?

gregp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2 Wagon V6
Hi guys,

I've got a VY V6 Berlina II wagon and just done its 180k service. After this I sent it to a local mechanic to look at the brakes as the handbrake wasn't working and without a hoist brakes aren't my favourite! Anyway they said there's a bit of sludge under the radiator cap and that the valley gaskets (inlet manifold gaskets I believe they're the same thing) are probably leaking and sucking oil into the coolant when the engine cools down.

I have noticed the coolant level drop very slowly over a few months in the past year or so, and a little bit of brown sludge under the radiator cap and the coolant dipstick too. I also have a small amount of oil usage (top it up every few months when it goes from full to about half on the stick). The underside of the oil filler cap is clean.

A few questions:
1) Does this sound a reasonable diagnosis? If not, what else should I be considering?
2) If I'm changing the inlet manifold gaskets, what else should I change while I'm at it? Are there any other seals / gaskets which are known to go in this area which I should do / may as well do at the same time E.g. head gasket, injector o-rings? What gasket 'kit' should I get to do the job?
3) Given I've just put new oil / filter in this, is the oil likely to have been polluted by the coolant? The old oil didn't seem milky in any way.

Thanks!
Greg

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Let the search function be your friend

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
1) Yes
2) will need to change both heater hose o rings. while you have it all apart may aswell change all the upper gaskets (since you need to take them off anyway) and clean out all the manifold it will be coated in black residue.
3)Usually you dont need to worry about the oil, make sure you flush the cooling system well though.

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
1) Does this sound a reasonable diagnosis? If not, what else should I be considering?

Sounds like the workshop where you took the car, knew what they were talking ab

2) If I'm changing the inlet manifold gaskets, what else should I change while I'm at it? Are there any other seals / gaskets which are known to go in this area which I should do / may as well do at the same time E.g. head gasket, injector o-rings? What gasket 'kit' should I get to do the job?

If you request intake manifold gaskets - they generally come with a kit, which includes the Injector O-Rings, Rocker Cover Gaskets and a few other odds and ends.
As one of the other guys said the heater hose o-rings will need to be replaced - make sure you have some rubber grease on hand to coat the o-rings so they don't tear or crimp.
Also give the intake manifold and throttle body a good clean with a non-alkaline based degreaser, whilst you're there I find it good to give the throttle body a clean also.
Unless you suspect otherwise, I would leave the headgasket alone.

3) Given I've just put new oil / filter in this, is the oil likely to have been polluted by the coolant? The old oil didn't seem milky in any way.

The oil will be fine. The cooling system will need a very thorough flush - just be sure not to do it where the coolant and water can drain into waterways...the EPA can trace this back to you and the fine is excessive.

When you start the car for the first time - there may be evidence of a bit more steam out of the exhaust, this should disappear after a moderate drive.
Also, don't stress if the car doesn't kick over for the first time as the fuel system will need to build pressure after you've disconnected the fuel lines to the injector rails.

gregp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2 Wagon V6
Super thanks guys I'll try to track down the right kit. Only phoned one place today and they had either just the manifold gaskets on its own or everything inc the head gaskets! I'll keep searching. When you say "change all the upper gaskets", is that the same as "Injector O-Rings, Rocker Cover Gaskets and a few other odds and ends."? I don't want to get half way through and find I'm missing bits! Didn't know about the heater hose o-rings. Rubber grease, I'll try to track some of that down, only got general purpose Slick 50 grease which I'm guessing isn't the gear I need!

Is it worth doing thermostat / gasket at the same time?

Cheers!

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Yes do thermostat
Upper gaskets means upper manifold gasket (plenum and upper runners) they usually have o rings or a steel gasket

While you got it apart may as well get a new pcv valve in there