Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing VE SSV Harmonic Balancer

petesmith

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE SS-V
So my harmonic balancer decided to somewhat seize up yesterday...have got a replacement but would love a bit of help working out how to swap it over.

I'm under the impression I need a harmonic balancer puller to get the old one off? Is it as simple as taking off the belt, un-bolting the old one and bolting on the new one? I'm kinda handy with the tools and usually do these sorts of things so I don't think I'll have any problems doing it, just wanting to make sure it's as simple as it may seem....

Any help/info appreciated! :)

Cheers!

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Redline ute 6.0 M6
So my harmonic balancer decided to somewhat seize up yesterday...have got a replacement but would love a bit of help working out how to swap it over.

I'm under the impression I need a harmonic balancer puller to get the old one off? Is it as simple as taking off the belt, un-bolting the old one and bolting on the new one? I'm kinda handy with the tools and usually do these sorts of things so I don't think I'll have any problems doing it, just wanting to make sure it's as simple as it may seem....

Any help/info appreciated! :)

Cheers!

Should have got a Underdriven pulley!

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Maybe need the fans out for room.
The bolt will be very tight and difficult to undo as the engine will want to turn. Work out how to stop this and use a long bar to undo the bolt.Suggest you replace the bolt too and ask how tight to do it up.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Here are a couple of things to look out for.

1) I recommend not using the stock/factory/GM Harmonic Balancer.
These things were designed by accountants, not engineers and as you can see from the numerous Harmonic
Balancer threads, they crap out easily, most developing a wobble after 20,000Kms (Or earlier if the engine has seen som high RPM use).

Your best bet is to get a good quality aftermarket balancer (Power Bond) for example.

A lot people recommend and underdrive balancer.
Just be aware that if your car sees a lot of stop start driving, your water pump and alternator will be under-driven.
(Essentially you are robbing power to these, so as you can redirect power to the rear wheels).
This will mean higher engine temps, which will mean the thermo fans will be used to replace the work
that was originally done by the water pump to cool the engine.
With the alternator being under-driven, this in turn will charge the battery less as well,
which means you will be putting a fair bit of strain on your battery provide this extra electrical energy
that is being robbed from the under drive balancer.

In my case, I opted not to use an under-drive balancer, as my electrical system is alreay heavily loaded,
and I commute daily in one of the largest carparks in Australia (Yay for Sydney).

2) A good Harmonic balancer puller is recommended, but not essential.
In a pinch, you can use a 70mm Gear puller, which you can get from Super cheap for around $50,
however there will be a fair bit of messing around with the bolt, and the puller.

My suggestion is to get buy dedicated puller LS2, LS3, L98, L77, L76 (used on fleabay or something like this),
use it, then sell it.
That way you will only be paying for postage, as well as suffering a bit of a loss when you sell the thing.
The dedicated puller makes things a lot easier. (Just remove the bolt, fit the puller, and wind th balancer off).

3) I Highly recommend getting an Arp Bolt for the Balancer.
(Not because of the oooh ahhh factor, or that you really need a super high tensile bolt), but because the Arp bolt
is much longer than the factory bolt.
(This is because the Arp bolt has a huge ass washer that goes between the bolt head, and the balancer).

When fitting up the balancer, this bolt means that you can put the balancer on by hand, and wind the Arp bolt in a fair bit,
then use the Arp bolt to push the balancer in place.
(Instead of trying to bash the balancer on with a hammer, and potentially damaging stuff)

Also you will find the stock bolt will JUST grab when the harmonic balancer is just hand fitted,
and it is very possible that you will strip the thread on the shaft if you try this with the stock bolt.

4) If you have a manual gearbox, then your set (Place the car in to gear with the handbrake on, and you should be able
to crack the harmonic balancer bolt).

If you have an Auto, then you have 3 choices,
a) Remove the starter and use a screwdriver to stop the engine from turning over.
b) Use the starter motor and a breaker bar to crack the balancer bolt.
(NOTE : DO NOT USE the ignition key to crank the motor as the ECU/Smart Start will continuosly crank the motor
until the engine starts, or for 5 seconds).
Instead remove the Fuel Pump relay, and starter relay, and connect the starter terminal directly to the battery.
c) Remove a spark plug and insert 1m of Nylon (clothes hanger) rope trick (Which is the method that I used).
Note this worked for me, however use your own discretion here. Im not repsonsible if you bend a valve or a piston
if you use this method.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Swapping the Balancer
(Very Quick Guide that I have written that I will be fleshed out when I have time)

Tools you will need
24mm Deep socket
15mm (I think) socket for the tensioner
1 Breaker bar (Huge ass type)
If fitting the Arp Bolt, you will also need a 1-1/16" Socket (Which you can get from Bunnings or Repco for around $15)
70mm Gear Puller, or G&C GM LS2 Harmonic Balancer puller.
And possibly other stuff I cant remember right now.

1) Remove intake plumbing (MAF, etc)
2) Disconnect the uppper radiator hose from the radiator, and rotate hose anti clockwise 90*
(You will lose around 1Lt of coolant doing this)
3) Remove the Thermo Fans
4) Remove the serpentine belts (Engine then AC)
5) Lock the engine from turning (See Point 4 in post above) above for different methods to do this
5) Crack the bolt (I used a breaker bar, with some square bar placed over it for leaverage.
6) Remove the bolt
7) Pull the balancer off using your selected puller
8) hand fit the new balancer to the shaft.
9) Using an Arp bolt, (without washer) wind the new balancer back on to the shaft (Do not torque up yet.
10) Remove the Arp bolt, fit the washer and grease the bolt with the supplied torque grease
11) Fit the bolt and torque to spec
12) Unlock the engine
13) Fit Belts,
14) Fit thermo fans,
15) Refit upper radiator hose
16) Refit Intake plumbing and MAF
17) add coolant to replace lost coolant above
18) Test Start engine.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
And finally, sorry for the wall of text....

I just completed this on my own car 2 weeks ago, and I jotted this stuff down to flesh out and put up on the website later on.
(So there is lots of stuff missing, and some descriptions that are a bit meh).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in this thread, and when I have time, I will try to reply.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Just an alternative way of locking the engine if its auto, I just used a scrap piece of flat steel I had, drilled a couple of holes and bolted it through a spare hole in the flex plate and the bell housing.

IMG_1268_zps7648010e.jpg

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Just an alternative way of locking the engine if its auto, I just used a scrap piece of flat steel I had, drilled a couple of holes and bolted it through a spare hole in the flex plate and the bell housing.

IMG_1268_zps7648010e.jpg

Your engineering brilliance never ceases to amaze me sen.....

That's brilliant.

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Great work , thanks.
I would not recommend using the key to spin the motor to undo the HB bolt.High risk if not done correctly.