Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap HP upgrades?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
as above maintenance should be first on the cards.. second ya need to get the engine breathing ie extractors, exhaust, filter and inlet pipe... after all that if ya still not happy its hard to look past a yella terra PD supercharger for around $7000

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
as above maintenance should be first on the cards.. second ya need to get the engine breathing ie extractors, exhaust, filter and inlet pipe... after all that if ya still not happy its hard to look past a yella terra PD supercharger for around $7000

After that, id be more looking at cam & rocker upgrade over a PD charger..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
After that, id be more looking at cam & rocker upgrade over a PD charger..

ya can only put a mild cam in with the stock bunch of bananas manifold... not really worth spending $4000 on cam/head setup and only getting half the power increase that a PD charger will give you.... all comes down to how he wants the car to drive/ fuel economy .... personaly i love my car with the lumpy cam but some people hate it also uses a lot of fuel town driving

PeteFXDB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thanks for the tips guys :)

It already has a K&N fliter,
After market exhaust with extractors.

Looked at the super charger but as I only paid 5k for the Stato spending 7k on something for it is proving difficult to get my head around.

micsnaffled

micsnaffled
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355 V8 5.8litre
I've got a thread going at the moment,
vr 5.0 engine rebuild
I only paid $6,500 for my vr ss but decided to go the whole hog and rebuild everything!! Interior, gearbox and engine.
Have a look, I have parts and prices I paid for all items off the shelf.
Going to see the engine builder this afternoon, so I'll post a couple more photos in the evening!
I've been waiting for a week and a half for this twin throttle from come, got it this morning, going to deliver it today to the engine dude!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 126

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I've been waiting for a week and a half for this twin throttle from come,

doesnt look like a very "cheap HP upgrade" as the thread was titled. looks pretty frikken expensive to me. im guessing the long runners will make your engiune a bit of a screamer. for someone that doesnt wanna port the heads, rebuild/balance for flat tops and a pretty big cam/stall convertor and diff gears, that intake looks pretty useless.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
First thing I do when I get a new car is the maintenance... Seriously change every fluid you can think of except aircon gas.. unless u feel like it... just coz the service book sez it was done doesnt mean it was... Put some great quality oils and filters everywhere, an new plugs and leads.. We all know how much of a difference that alone does and you can do most it at home.. So why not.. Cheap and very effective.. sure you wont gain 100rwkw but likely 15-20hp if it all needs doing.. I also recommend doing the diff too... Its the most commonly left out oil change along with the gearbox.. if your runnin old oil in ur diff an gearbox after you change it, it will be so much smoother and tighter.. talkin about diff and gearbox..

After you have done those basics, look into a head and cam' package, or cam at the least.. 5L are ment to be so lumpy they give lil kids nightmares.. so why not make it lope harder..? :D

In addidtion I know its not engine, but possibly consider upgrading the suspension.. Not jst springs.. don't even have to change ride height if u dont want, but if the car is pushing on 15yrs old.. new springs shocks and sway bars front an back will make it feel like a god.. full nolethane/SuperPro etc etc all round if funds permit.. its 15yrs old I am sure its beggining to sag in places it shouldnt... in addition to this train of thought.. if its an auto maybe a rebuild or a shift kit cld be on the cards? manual maybe an aftermarket clutch to get some response back..?

sorry I know you wanted eng. mods but hey, couldnt help myself...

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Oh yes an diff gears as stated above.. wont increase hp, but will take your car into the hp making rpm range faster... an will change how it feels all over again... (for the better btw)

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I think diff gears should be next on the cards for me I rekon.. lol
Needa start spending money on go fast bits :p

I'd do the lumpy cam etc, but I think I probably need a rebuild anyway.

Speaking of which (and not meaning to thread hijack, but it could be good info for the OP)
If I was to buy a 355 stroker kit and have that fitted ( I doubt I could pull that one off myself). Would that effectively be an engine rebuild?
Or would there be further work that needs doing for a 'rebuild'.

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
A 355 would class as a rebuild on the bottom and on whatever top end parts you put in, if that makes sense.