Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap Project 12's

Pos

BOOYAHHH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute 5Lt
Hi everyone, what,s annoying me at the moment is 1 of my mates has a ba xr6 turbo ute & it's starting to annoy me that all he has spent is about $2500-$3000 & is now running around mid 12's. I know his ute costs about double my VR ute 5l but my idea is to build up a cheap arse project thats within reach of the majority of people who don't have alot of folding stuff but are capable of swinging a spanner or 2. ive got a spare ute with some NSF crash damage that I will pull apart & get the rail straightened then go & get some fresh panels off e-bay. So what I'm putting out there is some CHEAP idea's or processes that I can do to bring it down into the 12's. One stipulation it will be road registered & regularly driven on the road. Now the ute is a '94 VR 5l ute auto. It already has pacemakers fitted but thats about it, the rest is standard. So looking for cheap engine upgrades and parts that are legal and reliable, changing trans to maybe T350 or T400, diff gears (lsd or maybe a mini spool-i know thats not exactly legal but a little bend of the rules maybe ok lol). Power adders maybe if engine only mods arent satisfactory and when the time comes to put it down the strip MT E/T Streets aren't out of the question either. So thats my project idea & I welcome all ideas and suggestions. Remember this is to beat a freud turbo. Us lion fans have responsability lol Thanks Pos :boxing:

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
You might be hard pressed to beat him, but getting into the 12's shouldn't be too hard. Is the car going to be street driven regularly? Because that might affect your options. The easiest combo is probably a bigger cam, a nice big stall converter and diff gears, maybe 3.7's or 3.9's. You should be running high 12's then, but it may not be very practical on the street. I'm keen to hear what other people say as well.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The only way you are going to smash him is play fair and run a turbo on the 5 litre. Otherwise you can do the stall/manifold/cam and run mid 12's or something, 12.99 without the manifold on a good day

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
If your dragging in a straight line mate a mini-spool will get you off the line better and faster, probably make a huge improvment over an lsd. also as betts said, the diff gears will also help alot.
For a couple of grand might you consider forced induction, diff work, auto work? Would be a tight budget but if you can do it yourself it might be the way to go.

Cheers mate and good luck with it.

Lean Back

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
mad
I'm not into it, but i wont judge you. go down to your local school they are freaking everywhere

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
The other thing about the combo i suggested is that it's really not going to be making much power. The only reason you will be running high 12's is because your 0-60ft time will be short, which is very important in running quick times on the strip. On the street unless you are starting from a standstill and taking off full throttle all the time, it's really not going to be a very quick car. Turbo would be nice, but I presume you would need to pump a fair bit of boost through it to be able to beat the xr6t, and how long would the stock 304 hold up to that for....

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Did you end up doing anything along these lines and how did it turn out?