Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap Rego

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
so does anyone know why you pay more for a ute even if you dont use it as a comercial car?? a commodore ute would be lighter than the sedan wouldnt it...?? less wear on the roads.... i might get a ute, put 3 tonne of stuff in it and drive around town getting full use of the extra extra extra rego cost

When it comes down to it, some fat cats decided that any vehicle capable of carrying commercial quantities of stuff is subject to commercial registration rates, can only guess that its hard to start making exceptions to the rules and policing them.

Don't quote me on this, but someone I used to work with years ago said that if you enclosed the rear of the tray (ie a canopy) and had the car reclassified you could dodge the commercial rates and pay as a passenger car.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
ah k, sweet as except for enclosed trays look like puss! is it more to register a v8 ute?

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
ah k, sweet as except for enclosed trays look like puss! is it more to register a v8 ute?

Not much more, you can actually go onto the rego site and get a quote for how much they will slug you. Just need your client details and that of the car you want priced up.

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
yeh i tried that but when i said ute it wanted to know all these different weights and what commercial class it was and i have no idea. I'm looking at a 2000 series 3 SS 5.0L 5speed ute but im struggling on the eyzreg site lol. also when i click consession it just confused me more....

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
looks like its $597, thats if i selected the correct type of consession. i chose state consession.

Cordelia calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VY Acclaim
thanks for the info guys, been a big help. main reason i was asking is becuase i want a ute and its close to $1000 to register a ute in south oz

Sorry I should have checked, I didn't realise you were in south oz so I have no idea what the law is over there, bit steep to register a Ute though!

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
looks like its $597, thats if i selected the correct type of consession. i chose state consession.

What sort of concession card do you have? If it is a health care card, you won't get any concessions.

My understanding is only pensioners (aged/disabled/carers) are the only ones who are entitled to a concession in SA when registering vehicles. According to the Transport SA site, to be eligible for a rebate on registration you need to be an aged pensioner in receipt of either a State Concession Card or Pensioner card OR incapacitated by the loss of one or both legs, for which you need a Dr. Cert to get the rebate. Other persons entitled to rebates are Primary Producers and people who live in remote areas.

A health care card will get you a cheaper public transport ticket, but thats about it's limit, other than what it's was designed for: cheap prescriptions/health products.

C.

Last edited: