Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap system for someone who knows little about speakers.

mattyfaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Hey,

I have been looking to get new speakers in my 03 VY Commodore but I know next to nothing about any Audio components/speakers.
Basically what I want to change is there are some songs I have on my iPod where the bass through the factory car speakers just sounds horrible, they make a tinny kind of sound if the music is up loud enough (which in my opinion isn't even that loud). I am fine with how everything else sounds.

I just want the bass to be able to sounds better when higher volume. I know usually you need an amp and sub for this but I don't know anything about those either and every time I have seen these installed in friends cars etc. they all seemed to be installed right where I have the Gas Tank in my car? Is there somewhere else it can be placed (I noticed the 2 slots on the shelf under the window in the back).

So, I don't want to spend a fortune, preferably only about $300. I know its best to buy something big so you don't have to upgrade later but I am not an audiophile and am happy with how everything sounds except the horrible bass so wouldn't be upgrading for a long time/if at all. Any ideas on what to get would be great, preferably from somewhere like JB Hi Fi as they are nearby. I'd be happy to give it a crack installing myself if its not too hard.

The headunit I have in the car at the moment isn't the factory one if that makes a difference, it is:
Sony 208 Watt MP3/CD with iPod/USB
CDXGT600UI
Sony 208 Watt MP3/CD Tuner With iPod/USB - CD Tuners - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

Thanks.

TechRecruit

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
*Suspence*
Hey man, I am like you. Know jackshit about car audio.

I can recommend how to set up your amp and sub. For the amp you can go with a false floor and locate the amp under the false floor. For the sub, you can place one or two in the front corners Of your boot. Just make sure you fabricate over the wood to keep the setup looking clean!

mattyfaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Last edited:

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
OP you may be better suited to just treating your factory doors, basically sealing the service holes and applying dynamat in the right areas can significantly help the midbass on the factory setup, should be doable within your budget aswell

mattyfaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
OP you may be better suited to just treating your factory doors, basically sealing the service holes and applying dynamat in the right areas can significantly help the midbass on the factory setup, should be doable within your budget aswell

Ah okay, I thought the sound was just it was too loud/too much bass for the factory speakers to handle. I will look into this thanks

TechRecruit

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
*Suspence*
Oh yeah, you should dynamat around your original speakers and tweeters and see if the is any improvement.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Ah okay, I thought the sound was just it was too loud/too much bass for the factory speakers to handle. I will look into this thanks

this should help you:
Mobile Electronics AU | Articles | Sound Deadening Your Vehicle

@TechRecruit, you wont need to dynamat around the tweeters in the dash, they only play higher fqs, its the lower midbass fqs that causes distortion and resonance within the doors, dynamat essentially seals the door and gives it a heavier mass aswell as reducing road noise to a certain extent

HEKYEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged 2010 VE SS-V
Oh yeah, you should dynamat around your original speakers and tweeters and see if the is any improvement.

That's about as useful as dynamatting around your head unit......

HEKYEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged 2010 VE SS-V
Ok....well at least u know that :)

Firstly, don't just go and buy a sub and an amp. This will just overpower the shitty speakers you have in the first place!

You will be far better off saving some money and getting the best splits and amp that you can afford to buy. Properly sound deadening the front doors will have a very noticable improvement on the bass that your splits can produce. But don't expect miracles from $150-300 speakers.