Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheapest way to replace radiator

LMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
G'day,

Just wondering what is the best/cheapest way to have a radiator replaced. I don't have the setup to do it at home, so I was thinking about purchasing a radiator online and taking it to a mechanic for installation.

The best deal on ebay seems to be $165 for a brand new radiator.

If anyone has any other ideas that would be great.

Cheers,
LMac

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
From what I know, changing the radiator is a easy job that you can do at home with screwdrivers and a spanner set.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Do u not know how to do Mechanic work ? A raditator isnt that hard too do althi I did pay 480 for mine too be done coz i was lazy.... Ummm I needed mine asap which is why I didnt go off ebay. But after I got mine I looked on there an cryed lol... For the price diff.

If u dont wonna give it a go urself then it wouldnt cost too much for a mechanic to fit it for ya.. maybe no more then $250 includen the radiator u buy....

Where are u from ?

cheers

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
G'day,

Just wondering what is the best/cheapest way to have a radiator replaced. I don't have the setup to do it at home, so I was thinking about purchasing a radiator online and taking it to a mechanic for installation.

The best deal on ebay seems to be $165 for a brand new radiator.

If anyone has any other ideas that would be great.

Cheers,
LMac

Ebay ones are crap. $310 i got a NATRAD approved radiator supplied and fitted with coolant late last year.

M

mrVT

yer ebay ones are rubbish there aluminium like stock ones and cant be soldered or repaired if u get the slightest hole i work for a radiatir place and know very well about them,if u want a good one buy a copper one which can be repaired then replacing whole radiatir each time u get the tiniest hole.Genuine holden ones are rubbish to!

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
all you need is a 10 ml socket and a screwdriver and a shifter or 2 , itll take you less than an hour , take the fan out first itll let you see what you doing easier, and take your inlet hose off so you can pull the fan assenbly out i should say

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
just get a ebay one with warrant, should last u at least 2 yrs, copper ones arn't very good with dispersing heat, compared to aluminium.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
As said above the EBAY ones are cheap and nasty.. Even if you do get a waranty from the seller you have to contact them and get it sorted and then the labour wont be under warranty will it so you will have to pay again to have the radiator replaced..

Where as if you get the radiator place to replace it and something happens you take it straight back and they fix it under warranty parts and labour included..

Also if you dont flush the cooling system completely they wont warrant the radiator as it has mixtures of different coolant run through it...

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
what city you in?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Ebay ones are crap. $310 i got a NATRAD approved radiator supplied and fitted with coolant late last year.

DON'T GO TO NATRAD THEY'RE DODGY I GOT MY RADIATOR AND THERMOSTAT DONE BY THEM 7 MONTHS AGO WHEN THE RADIATOR WENT NOW AFTER THAT TIME I HAVE HAD MY WATER PUMP GO AND THE HEATER CORE AT THE SAME TIME BECAUSE THEY USE THE PRE MIXED COOLANT **** WHICH I HAVE READ DOES NOT CONTAINE A SPECIFIC INGREDIANT THAT HOLDEN RECOMENDS (I MAY BE WRONG) WHICH CAN CORRODE THE INSIDE OF THINGS LIKE THE WATER PUMPS/HEATER CORES WHEN I TOOK IT BACK IN THEY CHARGED ME $160 LABOUR FOR THREE HOURS WORK WHEN IT TOOK 4 HOURS TO DO THE RADIATOR AND THERMOSTAT THE FIRST TIME WICH WAS $108 LABOUR THEN I GOT TOLD THAT THE THERMOSTATS THEY SOLD WERE STICKING BUT I STILL GOT CHARGED TO REPLACE IT AND THE GUY WORKING ON MY CAR SAID "YOU COULD NOT HAVE HAD YOUR RADIATOR REPLACED BY US 6 MONTHS AGO CAUSE WE HAVE NOT SOLD THAT BRAND HERE FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS" TO MY DISCUST. :bang:
THERE WAS A COOLANT SMELL COMING FROM THE HEATER WICH MEANS HEATER CORE IS ****ED ALL UP FOR THE DIOGNOSTICS $273 TO FIND OUT NOTHING BECAUSE THE MECHANIC COULDENT SAY WHAT WAS WRONG NEXT DAY BURNING COOLANT WAFTING INTO MY CABIN WITH HEATER ON I WAS NOT HAPPY WILL NEVER GO BACK AGAIN I DID GET A $200 REFUND BUT I HAD TO CONTACT THE REGIONAL MANAGER TO TELL HIM WHY I WAS PISSED OFF.

VXCALAIS I WOULD SUGGEST CHANGE THE COOLANT TO THE HOLDEN BRAND IT WILL WORK OUT CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN CHECK THE INVOICE TO SEE IF IT VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY WITH NATRAD IF IT DOES THAT IS DODGEY AND THE ALARM BELLS ARE RINGING.
HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS OTHERS TO AVOIDE THIS IN THE FUTURE