Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Alternator / Engine Warning

rhinos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8
Hey guys got some issues with this car. Got a VY R8 that keeps throwing up error codes on the dash. For example, on start-up its fine until you hit about 2nd gear up the street. When it first started a week ago it was an alternator warning followed by a engine warning. So I checked with a multimeter and the alternator is infact charging the battery. Now the warning is just check engine. But the thing that gets me is the red battery icon on the dash is flickering on and off randomly while the engine warning is flashing... Bit of a headache. Any Ideas? Also wats it cost to get a system check at holden? Cheers

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
If the alternator is "overcharging",initially this may be indicated by a flickering charge light,accompanied by the check engine light.Get onto urgently cos the engine may go into limp mode or shut down.Plus you may have to add a new battery to the bill.This may not be the cause of your problem but I'm betting that it very likely is.Good luck mate

rhinos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8
Yep thanks for the reply. I still have no idea what it could be. I have checked the battery with a multimeter whilst giving throttle and it still remains a steady 14.4v. I have driven the car for more than 2hrs straight also and no problems. I think it might be a connection problem somewhere. I'll just take it into a mech. Cheers

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Just a thought,whereabouts are you.If I ever have a problem that I can't nut out and I need to check for error codes,Peter at Timelord in Thorneside has never charged me anything to plug in his Tech 2.If he finds something though I get him to do the job cos he's really reasonable and I don't want to be a prick who just "uses"him.

rhinos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8
Oh yeah mate Iam in rockhampton. But yeah I need to plug it in somewhere, I'll have a scout around tomorrow. Cheers.

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Mate i had this when i just bought mine.. the check alternator was fixed by replacing the small regulator on the back of the alternator(can get from Repco) and check engine were fixed by replacing the O2 sensors..

rhinos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8
Its definately a connection problem of some sort. I was driving along yesterday with the warning lights flashing and as i turned left the warnings went off and stayed off for a few minutes. I will replace the regulator and o2 sensors and see what happens. Cheers.