Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine Code p0008

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You local dealer is wrong, the software can be done before doing chains and Holden advises doing the software first.

Software doesn't cost but the time to install it isn't free if you're out of warranty.

Half hour should suffice, possibly an hour for decent testing to see if it faults again.

Revised calibrations are now available for all MY07 and MY08 VE and WM
vehicles (excluding BRL) as well as MY10 & MY11 with LLT engines only.

Always ensure the latest service calibration is installed in the vehicle prior to replacing
timing chains.

hdtdarryl

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Hi, I realise this thread is starting to age a bit but I just thought I would share my experiences for those owners still looking for an answer. I have owned a VE SV6 MY09 (Built during 2008, compliance Jan 2009) since new, serviced as required according by the handbook and currently has around 110,000 km on it. Around October 2015 it started throwing random intermittent oil and check engine warnings, this turned out to be the P0008 code with no other codes. Every time the oil warning came on a check of the dip stick showed the oil was full. During March 2016 the frequency of this error increased to a point that it did not go away. Yesterday I decided to do a filter and oil change. This was the first time in 7 years that I had worked on the car, every other service was done by a GM certified mechanic, the oil filter looked like it was original, even though I had been paying for filter changes. After filter and oil change the car fired up without any sign of the engine warning light. Checked it with my scan tool and bingo, no logged codes and no impending codes. From what I have read in other forums I now believe the old oil filter was that contaminated it had upset the oil flow and tripped the oil and P0008 error due to a drop in oil pressure. Apparently the camshaft actuator relies on sufficient oil pressure and if this drops the sensor is tripped.

This is just my experience with the problem, and the filter and oil change is the only thing that I have changed in the vehicle. I have not updated any software or made any other changes. If any knowledgeable mechanics can shed more light on this please do so. My fix was not $2500 for new cam chains, but $90 for a new oil filter and fully synthetic 5/30 oil. One thing I have learnt from this is don't trust the mechanics. I will now be doing my own filter and oil changes and only sending the vehicle to the garage for things I cant do.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi, It would be interesting to cut open
the old filter and see how contaminated
it is.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
My SV6 09 model MY10 has been suffering from the same p0008 codes for months now with it coming on randomly and going away. The longest it has been on for in the past is about half hour until this week. It came on Monday and didn't go away. I booked it in to holden for Wednesday to have then see if they could find the problem. Wednesday morning I started the car to take it to them and no check engine light came on. They hooked their scan tool up and said the code was p0008 that was logged in the memory. They did a software update and it cost me $120 to get it done. The service manager said that should fix it and has done so for about 95% of the SIDI engine VE's they have done. He told me the few it didn't fix had not been looked after service wise and been flogged all their life. I know mine has been done at just over 10 000km every service since new. I have all the paperwork to prove it.
They also said IF the light comes back on again, its $2700 for the chains supplied and fitted.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
They also said IF the light comes back on again, its $2700 for the chains supplied and fitted.

Suggest you shop around mate. Ultratune did my chains with a new waterpump for $1950