Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light - oxygen sensor gen3

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Hey guys thought I'd do a do a follow up post.

finally got around to organising a mechanic and then it was a 3 month wait! and then took me a bit to get on here and post it.

the best they can conclude its a fault in the computer and to send it away to get repaired.
now to organise that!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have not had the VZ on the highway in a while, mostly short trips 5-10 minutes around town until today.
Did a 5 minute trip with a few stop start of engine then went on the motorway for about 3 minutes at 100kph and up came the engine light as it often does on the highway.
Got home and cancelled the code (o2 sensor 1 bank 1) with my Aldi $50 scanner as I have done before and all good probably for another 6 months
I would personally keep cancelling the code a few times before throwing money at the computer.
I actually fitted a new sensor about 3 years ago and I have another new one sitting on the shelf.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
mine comes on every time i drive it after 5 minutes (actually after 5 minutes of the ignition being on)
have cleared it but it come back straight away.
the scan tool doesn't even get a reading from the o2 sensors now and you can tell it runs very rich!
Its almost looking like by the time I fix everything on the car that needs fixing I might as well buy a car!

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
so after paying $600 for the mechanics to tell me they think its the pcm which is what I told them I thought it was. I followed up about getting it repaired.
The bloke I rang said they have never had a pcm issue like this before. not saying its not the pcm but in all the pcm repairs they have done its never been for the o2 issue.... it was a $400 diagnostic fee and then quote cost to repair after working out the problem. also would be without hte car for 2-3 weeks and have to send in the key, pim, bcm and pcm.
I sat on the fence looking to just buy another pcm and get it linked but since most get sold with the engines from the wreckers for conversions there was basically nothing around. and I got lost on ebay looking where most of them were for a modification service rather than selling one..
I also weighed up the fact if did buy one and get it linked it would end up costing about $500 and Just last night found a whole setup key remote, pim, pcm for ls1 and bcm (level high for the calais) for $440 on ebay. after working a few discounts I ended up getting it for $415 so hopefully replace everything, no linking and see how it goes! now just wait for it to arrive.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Just last night found a whole setup key remote, pim, pcm for ls1 and bcm (level high for the calais) for $440 on ebay. after working a few discounts I ended up getting it for $415 so hopefully replace everything, no linking and see how it goes! now just wait for it to arrive.
make sure to get the vin number of the car it came from and/or the BCM security number
just in case you need it down the track

Reactions: Lex

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
ok thanks ill hit them up.
where would you find the bcm security number?

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
cheers,
got the vin number, What's that used for? if I need to link the bcm or pim to something else?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
to contact holden to get the bcm code
cheers,
got the vin number, What's that used for? if I need to link the bcm or pim to something else?

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Ok so swapped it all over and still have the same issue!

Any ideas?

Also lost the radio code since I had everything disconnected.
Now sounds like a pain in my ass to get the code!
Need licence, rego, go in person to a dealer and pay $38!
Is there some way around this!

Over $1100 into this with only more problems so far!

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Scan tool...
Got all these other issues too not sure if it's because it come from an adventra or not....?
The guy said they are both high level and would work
20240123_131645_copy_526x764.jpg

20240123_131656_copy_537x768.jpg