Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Oil and Engine light. Running rough

Wayno77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi all

Have a 07 VE Omega. alloytec motor

Keep getting the check oil light come on randomly, oil is full everytime, occasionally I get the check engine light as well. Car runs fine up until this happens then gets sluggish and engine runs really rough. Usually park it up once I get home and the next day it's fine again, can go weeks without it happening again.

Any tips or advice? Don't have a scan tool.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
Get it scanned, Supa cheap can do it for you I think. Could be any number of issues. - serious to not so serious. probably no point speculating without having it scanned mate.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Over 4 and abit years this has happen about 7 times I got my Scanner and just delete the errors.
I think after you stop the car it will reset it self.
I got mine to holden while running bad parked.
They started it no problem.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Maybe a faulty oil pressure sensor, it's located below the oil filter housing, easy to change from what I've read in other threads.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
X2 for the oil pressure sensor - common problem with early VEs - about a $30 for a genuine replacement - you'll need a oil pressure sensor socket to remove

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
May want to make sure it's not starving for oil as the pick up maybe sludged up

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
X3 for the oil pressure sensor

As stated go to supacheap and get the codes read.

Last edited:

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If you can get oil pressure sensor for about $30 (plus a socket to change it) probably worth doing, but if the problem is still there maybe blocked pickup (sludging) as Mickaxe said, or may be oil pump. I know the sensor is a common problem on the LS1 (I've had the problem with my Clubby) I don't know if it's a common problem with Alloytec. The possible concern here is if the oil pressure is low (and there is nothing wrong with the sensor), then the more you drive it, you are risking engine damage from lack of oil circulation.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Actually looking on ebay you can get a sensor for 06 - 08 V6 for $23 and even $21 with post (not genuine part). Something I didn't know until I looked on ebay, is there is also an oil level sensor on the V6 as well, these are about $70 - do you get any indication of oil level or oil pressure problem? If there are separate sensor for pressure and level, this is where a scan should be able to differentiate. I'm still thinking for $20 or $30 changing that pressure switch is probably a good thing, at least you aren't spending a lot of money if it proves to be wrong, and from my own experience with LS1 I wouldn't be surprised if it is just the pressure sensor.