Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking Ignition Leads

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
The Gregory's manual gives some very high tolerances there! I would discard any lead that offered more than 15kOhm per metre. New leads will all read well under this. The ICE leads I have on my vx only have about 3kOhm per meter. Its always good to actually measure the resistance of your new leads before you stick them on.......then when you remeasure down the trackyou will know if they have deteriorated or not. If the resistance has changed a lot, thats a sure sign they need changing, whether they are within tolerances or not.

Testing with the multimeter will tell you if the core has broken down, but that is only half the story. Faults in the insulation can be just as problematic, though not as common, and in combination with a weak core can be even more problematic with cross fires........read backfires on lpg systems.

Testing the insulation is trickier(its a bit beyond the multimeter resistance readings)......it really involves detailed visual inspection looking for any cracks in the insulation(generally if there are no cracks the insulation integrity remains good). Other than that the only way to test is to apply high voltage to the lead and run an earth conductor over the lead to see if a spark jumps.....ouch! Also observing the system in the dark may detect any small discharges from cracks. Both the core and the insulation both deteriorate from heat, so look more closely at the plug ends when you are checking for discharge.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The VS Gregory's manual I have here lists

1,3,5 10k
2,4,6 17k

Walky88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
VY clubsports don't they have a coil per cylinder????

If so the leads are very short and i would expect low ohm meter reading.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Any one know of a good brand of leads? I know that bosch spark plugs are crap, what about thier leads?

jimmynail

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp sedan
the numbers on the dfi relate to which cylinder they go to, but what if you don't know and can't ****ing well find out what the cylinder numbers are in relation to the block and spark plugs from the dfi?

taskmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT series 2
If you do need to buy a new lead, i know that repco do sell them individually, however im not sure of how good a quality they are, (but it would do as a temporary fix until goods ones can be found.)
Also im pretty sure most supercheap stores have the bosch leads individually, but they are usually just on a rack and you have to search thro them all to find the right one.

yep supercheap do sell singular bosh leads at 4.90 rrp each

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I know its been a while, but don't leads actually need to be load tested to get a real answer weather they're good or not?

VN_represent92

Reaction score
Members Ride
standard VN commodore
spark plug leads

hey im new im only 16 trying to figure out why my car wont start, ive checked the leads and plugs but all i get when i try and start it is a clicking noise coming from the engine can someone help me??? :p

dvs18u

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
check u batt connection

check ur battery connection and also fuses relating to starter and ignition
with the battery u might have a bad connection with the fuses one either is or just about blown!!??!!??