Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Choosing the right torque converter

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
What's the need for a large trams cooler. I'm have an external one I'm using rather the going though the radiator. It's about 30cm by 20cm. I actually have another one. Could I hook two up.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Red Diamond make good stallies which don't cost a rediculous amount of money like some other companies. They're also Australian which is a bonus so you can have it built custom and delivered quite quickly. As for the stall point itself - if you have a dyno sheet with torque graphed on it you can go off that, otherwise you need to do some maths on the cam. Basically like immortality said you want the stall point at the business end of your torque curve, so when you accelerate hard it will snap past the lower rpm straight into your torque band.
Don't worry about it driving differently with a stallie, it'll just slip under the stall point it's set at and drive quite normally - you'll only really notice it's there under harder acceleration.

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Stally should be here tomorrow. I ordered one from torque converter industries in Sydney. It's the one that's 500rpm over stock. Meant to be 200-2500stall depending on cam. Hopefully it will be in by the weekend. Anyone know if it possible to run a temp gauge on the tranny to see just how hot it is getting

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Any pointers in installing the converter. Should I feel it click in 3 times and that's it. Also it's very loose in the shaft. Has lots of play. Is that normal

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Thanks for the help guys, torque converter in and running. Car is of the rd again as the plugs fouled again due to rich fuel. Waiting on a tune and it should be right to go. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337689297.453822.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337689333.237062.jpg

vtmomentum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6
TCI at seven hills are great top product I have one and as long as you have standard lock up you can sit on the freeway at 1800rpm and you won't get any slip as others said you only notice it if you plant the gas.

vh5000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 5.0i
Thanks for the help guys, torque converter in and running. Car is of the rd again as the plugs fouled again due to rich fuel. Waiting on a tune and it should be right to go. View attachment 142175View attachment 142176

I have been considering one of these 500 over standard torque converters for my th400 from TCI (Sydney) also.

Wonder if you could do a bit of a review i.e. road test, actual stall increase etc.

sporty custom

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
exactly what show bags said above that is how they behave, ppl that say they rev and roar must have huge stalls well above 2500 -3000,mine has a 3000 in it will footbrake to 2000 mash it straight to about 2900.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
I wouldn't bother buying a converter any less the 3000. If its a lock up converter it will drive like a stocker when cruising.