Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clack noise from rear when handbrake applied

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Seriously, I am getting a CLACK! noise like two pieces of steel being slapped together from the rear right/driver side of my VT wagon when I apply the handbrake at any speed. Why did I use the hand brake? I am trying to get through a NSW blue slip inspection and hand brake test is something they look at. Foot brake is excellent, no noise at all, wheel nuts seem ok. Any hints, clues would be appreciated

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
all commodores do it when u pull the hanbrake up while moving its the shoes in the hub dont worry about it its normal

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Simple answer...

DONT PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING.

The handbrake test should only be to test that the brake is able to hold the weight of the car on an incline should the gearbox park lock fail.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
SabbathSS, unfortunately, NSW RTA wants the hand brake tested as an emergency brake and use a machine to check it's effectiveness, WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING. I agree with you that the hand brake should only be used while the car is stationary. I have been driving for around 50 years and don't remember ever having to stop using my hand brake. Did you actually read my whole post? I explained why in that.
brad_m_is, thanks for the info, appreciated

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Graham, mine also gives a bloody loud clack, I believe it's the shoe grabbing the drum. Try adjusting it up to take out any excess free travel in the cable.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
SabbathSS, unfortunately, NSW RTA wants the hand brake tested as an emergency brake and use a machine to check it's effectiveness, WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING. I agree with you that the hand brake should only be used while the car is stationary. I have been driving for around 50 years and don't remember ever having to stop using my hand brake. Did you actually read my whole post? I explained why in that.
brad_m_is, thanks for the info, appreciated

Thats bullcrap to the extreme (not you, I mean that the RTA want to do that). I find that the handbrakes on these cars only have two settings, full on and full off, to try and get a middle ground would require an extremely good arm on the handbrake. Also I believe applying the handbrake while moving puts a lot of pressure on other parks and can break stuff quite easily, handbrake shoes and brakes mostly.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
arcomody, I agree with you but bean counters and pencil pushers have us by the short and curlies, making new rules as they please. On another note, I can't believe how good the brakes are on this wagon of mine

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
who is doing the inpection, or are you having to take it to the pits or something? becuause ive never known a mechanic to test the handbrake this way most will tell you what others here have already said.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
what they gna pull handbrakies? and my vn drives lets say 10 metres, rolls like freely, then CLACK handbrake grabs, gotta pull the handbrake 10m before corner entry hhahah

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Hey Pablo, I have the workshop manual and the GMH service manual. There are two adjustments, one in the drum and a cable adjustment near the handbrake. Will be doing them both in the next couple of days....vt s, NSW RTA Blue Slip/pit inspection. Also when a NSW pink slip inspection is done, they put a pressure pad on your brake pedal to measure how much force/pressure is required to stop the car from a set speed. That is when they test your handbrake even on a pink slip inspection