Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear coat peeling. What's the best way to fix this?

Holden_Man

Coffin Dodger
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina
A mate of mine told me that it's the clear coat that's peeling away on my roof and bonnet. Can someone confirm this for me? Any advice on the best method for fixing this problem without having to go to a professional would be greatly appreciated.

Roof
SDC10349.jpg

SDC10351.jpg

Bonnet
SDC10352.jpg

SDC10354.jpg

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The clear has come away from the paint. A spray painter told me it's the incorrect product used in relation to the base coat that gives this effect. My VN roof just started to go this way as well. :( The only way to fix this is to rub back and repaint. If you go through the base colour when rubbing down - you have to re paint that too.

So no easy fix I'm sorry to say.

Holden_Man

Coffin Dodger
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina
I don't mind at having a crack at it myself. If that's what is needed to be done then so be it. I'm actually looking forward to it. Thanks for your comments gentlemen.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
dodgy fix: rub with wet 800/1200 whateva and paint/clear. (this way will look really ****)
proper fix: prime whole areas affected then paint/clear.
being the color that it is the gurds need to be blended and cleared so the color matches spot on but sometimes depending on a few varibles that i wont discuss now the color can look really good and you wotn wanna get the guards blended

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Easier to just blend the guards. Its by no means difficult. For the sake of 20mins extra work its worth it.Then just cut and polish the rest of the car.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Really cheap ass fix - rub it back to base coat and buff it - voila, single stage paint job.

Holden_Man

Coffin Dodger
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina
Thanks guys, but I have to ask, what do you mean by "blending" the guards?

I'm not going to cheap out on this so I will attempt a proper fix.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
blow a little colour over the guards so that there isn't an edge to edge colour difference between them and the bonnet.
Common practice in the smash repair industry. Colours are rarely 100% accurate, especially on older cars with weathered finishes.

Holden_Man

Coffin Dodger
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina
blow a little colour over the guards so that there isn't an edge to edge colour difference between them and the bonnet.
Common practice in the smash repair industry. Colours are rarely 100% accurate, especially on older cars with weathered finishes.

Thanks Soop. Appreciate the advice.