Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"CLICK CLICK" in VTII

tdog

slipstream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 355
hey everyone
a mate of mine has just got a genIII vtII and when he first turns the car on and goes to accelerate there is a "click click" noise from the rear of the engine. It only happens on initial acceleration, once the car gets going its fine.
However when you turn it off for a period of time, then turn it back on, it goes "click click" again.

If anyone has any ideas on whats going on it'd be appreciated

cheers

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It's called piston slap, let the car warm up and use a decent oil in it to minimise it. If it's using oil, i suggest your mate get rid of it ;)

tdog

slipstream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 355
thanks mate
i know the vts are notorius for using oil. its a shame coz i love the shape of them. im hoping my vx is a little bit saferbut i think theres sum gremlins there too :cry:

VZLAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Could possibly be tappets ?

Oh hold on no it cant be that because ANY little noise associated with a gen3 HAS to be piston slap and a possible oil issue.. GET OVER IT.. :whistling

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
TigaMite said:
Could possibly be tappets ?

Oh hold on no it cant be that because ANY little noise associated with a gen3 HAS to be piston slap and a possible oil issue.. GET OVER IT.. :whistling

It could be that, but 99/100 times on a cold start it is slap.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Minux, hold fire on the piston slap problem!! If you read the symptoms he described it doesn't sound anything like piston slap!! And how do I know? Because I have the same "problem" in my GenIII stato, but I'd say it's more a quirk.

I've had the car 12 months and the noise sounds identical to when I first bought the car so it's clearly not getting worse. It's a one-off "click-click" noise that occurs once drive is fully engaged and I would say it's coming from the front of the transmission. It only occurs once and is not heard the rest of the journey. Cycling it through park/neutral/reverse will not make the noise occur again. I've had the car idling for 10 minutes from a cold start and then put it into drive/reverse and as soon as the foot goes on the accelerator you hear the noise. Doing the same thing in neutral and there is no noise. So it's clearly not engine related.

I've heard piston slap before and this doesn't even sound remotely like it. This sounds more like a transmission problem.

Mark.

PSK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais ls1
It's the abs system...or traction control can't remember which............It does it at every startup as a system check at or about 6km/h

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
PSK said:
It's the abs system...or traction control can't remember which............It does it at every startup as a system check at or about 6km/h

That happens EVERY START, not when you drive then stop for a long period.

His clicking is happening after a long period of stopping, not at every start

BOXY1

Reaction score
Its definately not piston slap or the tappets because i have the exact same thing happening in my vx ss and the noise occurs even when the engine isnt on, only need to turn the key to accesories and touch the accelerator and u get the noise. Which makes me think PSK must be right. any other possibilities other than this if it occurs without the engine started?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol are you sure it isnt just relays flicking over?