Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Close Call

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Well..nup. Nothing to say here that won't be offensive. Just wrong on all counts. They're not ****. Unlike the above.
They could of made the A pillar a lot better with just the same strength you know and that's a fact, it's a cheap and badly designed A pillar.
There was talk of redoing it all with a better stronger steel for the VF you know.

Dynamic Dazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Wagon
Having driven VE/VF's since they first came out, the only time i find the A pliiar a problem is at pedestrian crossings where a few times I've missed seeing the person there. As for other situations, you become accustomed to them and adapt.

My wife's 3 series Beemer has pillars not much narrower than the VF's, so I don't think its just a Commodore thing
Might just be us Commodore drivers we are a weird bunch lol

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
I've been hearing for years how thick and obstructing the A-pillars in VE/VF commodores supposedly are. Without suggesting that they're not an issue for some people, I can quite honestly say I've never had a single problem with them. I've driven both models at work and at home and I've never personally had an issue..to the point where I've tried many times to see how people could have their vision obstructed by them and nothing..?

If you drive with your head still and don't move it to look at what may be coming then possibly they may be an issue, but surely no one would do that.......................

D'ya wanna bet?

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
They could of made the A pillar a lot better with just the same strength you know and that's a fact, it's a cheap and badly designed A pillar.
There was talk of redoing it all with a better stronger steel for the VF you know.

Must be a Queensland thing...The Pillars have to be strong.
They have a very severe rake angle, which means an even higher deformation force has to be withstood
The steel quality IS good, and I would bet that you won't find any 'crumple kinks' in the sections
There is also parts related to the side-curtain airbags in them

I remember seeing a photo, years ago, of a 20 ton container that had fallen off a truck, and landed right on top of a Volvo. The driver opened his door and stepped out. Could VE/VF do that, with those steeply raked a-Pillars?

Shut up, Zeke...

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Had a close call at roundabout in my vz with the fat A pillars, car in the blind spot, just now aware of it, not problem the vf, now I'm aware of the blind
spot, I think the angle of the A pillars, and seating position, have alot to do with bind spot issue.
The A pillars on my work Amarok are fairly thick too, but I don't have a problem with them, but they don't have the same amount of rake on them as the commodore.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you really believe that the 'A' pillar is blocking your view, then as the driver responsible (I do hope that you are a responsible driver) you should be adjusting your seating position (if you think that's a problem) and ensuring that you don't proceed through a round-a-bout, intersection of junction unless absolutely sure that it is safe to do so by reducing your speed sufficiently in order to satisfy yourself that it is safe for YOU to proceed. If you continue having problems, suggest you seriously consider obtaining some professional tuition from a qualified person. Sounds like you may have developed a bad habit (leaning against the side window !!!! :rolleyes:) Good luck.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
The VE-F A pillar is ****, they used crap steel and made it way too wide, when they could of used stronger steel and not so wide, it was badly designed as the door window frame makes it only worse, I don't know why they still have door window frames nowadays they are just out dated old ****.
Ask anyone if they would like another 10mm in width on the VE-F A frame.

When you drive the old cars you can easy see every where at a glance, look at the 1960 Falcon it was a safety feature back in the day.
Look at the Holden's from HD on to the WB the A pillar was strong and thin and no one bagged them.
The VB Commodore was a sardine can and that did not stop people from driving them, but at the time the handling was the main safety feature.

My wife bought a Aurion because she said she could not see out of the new Falcon and Commodore's as well. her dad pushed like hell for her to buy a bloody Camry but she did not like them because they are gutless and the 4cyl eng are not as smooth as the V6.
They could make the pillars half the size with different strength steel but you would have the problem with the Air Bag that lives in the Pillar.
Yeah a 10MM Pillar that would be Nice without a Air Bag in it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yes I had the same problem this morning going through a Round About and the small car was on my right and it was the correct speed to hide behind my A Pillar. My Head has to Go 30 CM front to back to get away from this issue. No Problem with the VR 94 Comm but it has NO Air Bags

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Must be a Queensland thing...The Pillars have to be strong.
They have a very severe rake angle, which means an even higher deformation force has to be withstood
The steel quality IS good, and I would bet that you won't find any 'crumple kinks' in the sections
There is also parts related to the side-curtain airbags in them

I remember seeing a photo, years ago, of a 20 ton container that had fallen off a truck, and landed right on top of a Volvo. The driver opened his door and stepped out. Could VE/VF do that, with those steeply raked a-Pillars?

Shut up, Zeke...
I think they could. Triangles are inherently strong.