Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

closed threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i've noticed a lot of threads being closed recently because they degenerate into a slanging match.

my question is why should the thread be closed to the whole forum when it is only a couple of people involved?

wouldn't it make more sense to take advantage of your "infraction system" rather than just close a thread?

or is closing a thread easier?

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Infractions/warnings are usually only issued for a breach of site rules.

Many of the threads that I have closed recently border rules being broken, but it is usually easier to close them, especially when more than a couple of people are involved. The trouble with slanging matches is that they snowball and gather more "slangees" to put it along the way.

You also have to ask if there was any point or relevance to the thread in the first place?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I'm of the opinion (being an ex-mod from here) that what the message board software needs is an add-on or feature that disallows members from replying to a particular thread if they keep causing trouble in it (they can still view but not reply and if members bag that user out after they're kicked they get warnings). For the mods it is a lot easier to lock and remove a thread, especially when it's one with 10 pages and the negativity is strewn across the whole thread.. I remember wasting so much time "cleaning out" threads that other things went by unnoticed.

The main problem with the current system of locking is it seems the same kinds of threads are reappearing and ending in the same fate, and members who contributed positively to the threads are disadvantaged because the thread was locked sending out a message that if members try to resurrect the discussion then their threads will meet a similar fate.

On my message board which is running on phpbbfm (heavily modified version of phpbb, not as powerful as vbulletin but it's free) I have a feature where I can kick users from a thread if they're causing trouble.. but I have no idea of where such a feature could be found for vbulletin which is what JC runs on, or if the guys in red would consider it.. but I'm just getting it out there :p

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
As someone who has always kept debates above board on here I find the closing of threads very annoying to say the least.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
close em' down and stop the madness :thumbsup:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

minux