Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

club rego vs full rego

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hi all,

I am just about finished restoring a 1981 Volvo 244. It is unregistered, as I let it lapse.

Now Volvo jokes aside, I will soon need to register it.

I have 2 basic choices. I can get full registration or club registration. Full rego is for me $750 a year, and I can use the car whenever I want. Club rego is $52/yr and I can only use on club runs, and other things pending club approval. There are changes afoot in NSW to change this to 60 days a year by way of a logbook.

Now I already have 2 cars on full rego (VB Commodore, Fiesta), can I justify a 3rd? Who here also has historic/club rego? How have you found it?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Dont know about NSW, but in SA, club rego gives you 90 days, log book as well. Car must be stock over here.
If its a fine weather car, you will be struggling to do 60 days. Bloke I work with has a Mustang on club, and the most he evr did was about 60 days, and that was
way more than he usually does.
Over here, if you put it straight onto club, you dont pay stamp duty. Good saving all over.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Club reg. I've had cars on club reg. and it works well. Don't cheat on it though.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
My LJ is the second car I've had on CRS. Works well and saves a heap of cash if you're not gonna use it often. As you say, it's limited to club stuff and maintenance runs.
It works fine for what I use the car for. The club and how they police it makes a difference too. The club I'm in is pretty good.

The 60 day logbook rego that's being looked at here in NSW doesn't replace the CRS. It runs beside it and allows modified cars as well as stockers to enjoy cheaper rego. It just allows more usage and is a bit dearer than CRS. You still have to be in a club to use it from memory.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The only way to answer the question is to think about how often and when you're going to want to drive it... Answer that and you'll know what rego is best for you.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
My old girl is modified (not a lot, but enough to not be able to get historic club rego in NSW). I would have found it too restrictive to have Historic rego if it was capable of getting it. The idea of being able to pull it out on a Sunday morning and take it for a half hour run to clear the cobwebs out rather than club organised events only was more my taste but I couldn't afford full rego every year, so she's sat unregistered for 8 years.

This new government idea for the 60 days a year rego is perfect for people like me who just want a little freedom but can't afford $1000 a year to drive it 20 days.

I hope everyone sticks to the rules during the trial and uses the log book correctly so it doesn't kill it for the rest of us. Huge fines for non compliance is ok with me.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If NSW goes to the 60 day logbook, I'd go that in a heartbeat. We have either 45 or 90 day logbook permits here in vic and its quite a good system. I have both my VC and HQ only 45 day permits and for the use (twice a month at best between both cars) its great. I did 26 days in the whole of last year in my VC. Cheaper for insurance too, it was I think $133 to add my HQ to my policy with Shannons the other week. So if it follows similar to vic, club plates all the way.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep, the club permit system is great. I wouldn't have a second car if it weren't for the cheap rego. The price here in vic seems to be gradually climbing as popularity increases though, unfortunately. Hopefully it stays reasonable.

It's very important that you stick to the rules as mentioned above though. Can have consequences for you AND your club if you're caught out. I'm sure that applies to NSW too.

The restriction of only driving to club events is no big deal anyway. Get involved with your club and organise cruise days and social events. Before our log book system, that's what we did to get out as much as possible. Just needed to have it published in the club magazine every month as proof that we were attending a club event.

Having said that, I much prefer the log book system. I purchased 45 days this year and only have 1 day left. I'll be going to vicroads next week to get another 45. Hopefully NSW adopts a similar system.

Be aware that you WILL be pulled over frequently for logbook or document (in the case of a club event) checks. I've been pulled over many times, but only for logbook checks.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Dont know about NSW, but in SA, club rego gives you 90 days, log book as well. Car must be stock over here.
If its a fine weather car, you will be struggling to do 60 days. Bloke I work with has a Mustang on club, and the most he evr did was about 60 days, and that was
way more than he usually does.
Over here, if you put it straight onto club, you dont pay stamp duty. Good saving all over.

Close to stock, not completely stock......there are certain modifications that are allowed, but they have to be approved by the club you are with and noted in the log book....

And yes, I have 4 club regoed cars....Perfect....90 days per car X 4 cars = 360 days usage, all for the price of 1 fully registered car.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Yep, the club permit system is great. I wouldn't have a second car if it weren't for the cheap rego. The price here in vic seems to be gradually climbing as popularity increases though, unfortunately. Hopefully it stays reasonable.

It's very important that you stick to the rules as mentioned above though. Can have consequences for you AND your club if you're caught out. I'm sure that applies to NSW too.

The restriction of only driving to club events is no big deal anyway. Get involved with your club and organise cruise days and social events. Before our log book system, that's what we did to get out as much as possible. Just needed to have it published in the club magazine every month as proof that we were attending a club event.

Having said that, I much prefer the log book system. I purchased 45 days this year and only have 1 day left. I'll be going to vicroads next week to get another 45. Hopefully NSW adopts a similar system.

Be aware that you WILL be pulled over frequently for logbook or document (in the case of a club event) checks. I've been pulled over many times, but only for logbook checks.

Also to keep in mind cops log when they see a car on club permit out and about and can and will pull you over weeks later to check the date the car was logged as being out and about in your book as well.

Had a few mates pinged because of that.