Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunking from rear left, think I know what it is, need more ideas tho

grim596

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 3.0L TDi Colorado
Bought a vuII ute on Friday, it was going well until today, it's developed a clunking noise that gets more frequent as I get faster, eventually ceasing as I reach about 60.
I think it's the rear left brake disc being warped because when I spin the wheel while the car is jacked up it definitely makes a scraping noise... Now for the part I don't get... When it is jacked up it is very difficult to spin the wheels... It's an auto, is that normal??? I havent owned anything newer than a VP and it's my understanding that the wheels should spin freely when jacked up.... Not even when the wheels and calipers are off does it spin easily... Could it be a diff issue?? Bearings??? (haven't changed any before may need guidance)

If anyone has some insight id really like to read it..

Hayden

grim596

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 3.0L TDi Colorado
I've never owned an auto before either, it's got to have a convert soon

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
check your cv joints, there should be no visable grease around the boots, if you can I would supect that is the issue - when mine went sounded like a heavy click to clunking noise and was not able to see anything except a little grease around the inner boot (the one above the exhaust for me). if it was the brakes you would definatly see something, like no brake pad when you look into the calipers. not too sure how to test them. they are relitavley cheap for aftermarket ones, the genuine ones are a little rich thou...

grim596

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 3.0L TDi Colorado
My mechanic told me this morning that with a LSD the wheels will be extremely difficult to turn with one on the ground (my bad for not explaining better) it would seem that it is the brake, I went for a drive with no pads in the rear left caliper and the brake line blocked and disconnected from the caliper... Don't concern for your safety I'm in a pretty remote area for a couple of weeks... What's strange though is it makes a sound like a fairly inflexible strip of metal being sprung back and forth against another bit of metal and that is what put me off, didn't sound like a bad brake. I also overlooked the deep gouges in the disc, though I'm not sure how I missed them, its usually the first thing I look for other than a deep lip

grim596

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 3.0L TDi Colorado
Yes handbrake was released, and I took it out of park with choks infront of the front wheels

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
That sounds like low brake pad indicator. Metal srip that rubs to annoy the crap out of you. Then you take a look and fix it. Brilliant really

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
vt onward drivetrains usually clunk have heard its normal.

madcapmagician

Phatburger fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Berlina 3.8
low brake pad indicator should really only be heard / felt when brakes are applied but stranger things have happened. Have you checked to see if the dust cover is damaged and contacting the back of the disc? Other than that, as has been said, could be CV's - they are common enough - particularly with utes :) and it is also possible it could be the diff side bearings or wheel bearings. Easy as to unbolt the drive shaft and then spin the wheel to see if that eliminates the noise. If it does, it is pretty much going to be the diff. If you still hear it, work backwards (or forwards) and check CVs, wheel bearings etc.

grim596

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 3.0L TDi Colorado
Wasn't the brakes :(

Mechanic is replacing the left CV first thing wednesday morning (i snapped all my allen keys on it)... Hope thats it or i've just wasted $260 thats including his labour cost...
Is it a good idea to do both at the same time if that's the problem??
I've had a look around the CV boots it looks like there was probably grease but this cars been in the dirt a bit and it's more like caked on mud now, had a go at getting it off to see if it leaks before it's replaced

The left one clunks a fair bit just with me under the car twisting it where the right doesn't so much
Right = one clank then stop each way
Left = Clank clank clank... then stop... can't be good