Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clunking noise when turning left

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
This mechanic is a family friend who lives up the road, and he isn't the one who will be doing the work so he wouldn't mess me around.

Getting my mate to look at it too who works at tyre power. Said he works with front ends all the time

woodsy_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle 5lt & vn berlina 5.7lt
Not all of us mechanics are out there to rip people off!!!!
i would say the wheel bearing is knackerd if it was a ball joint the whole strut would move at the bottom not just the wheel

admj1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
few suggestions

hi, better late than never but i have a few suggestions (given my old man, me and brother have vn/vp's)..
from our experience, while the front end of the car is jacked up... if you can shake the wheel vertically (hand on top and bottom of wheel, push one, pull one) then its the balljoints...
if you can shake wheel side to side (hand on sides, push on one, pull on other.) then its either tie rod ends or rack ends (rack end screws all the way into steering rack, it also includes the tie rod end in it... each one $30ish?)
if you can hear a metallic noise when you go over a lump, we found that to be the part when the stabiliser bar is connected to the strut i suppose... it has a bolt, 2 or 4 rubbers and 4 concave washers for each side...and the rubbers had virtually disintegrated... so that was an easy fix as well...

now another thing i had was the same as yours, you mention a clunk when you go around a corner one way, well, it took us ages to find but at the top of the strut where you screw a bit octagonal or hexagonal nut onto the strut... mine came loose and the strut could physically move...
now you dont need to take the whole strut out to fix this, if you reach in, clip off the cable tie that stops rubber boot inside sliding around you can reach in with a big wrench and tighten it up (its supposed to be locktited)...

anyway, hope this helps... if it does help then please just give us a yell so i can feel usefull for once :) lol

Adam.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Well I just went and looked at my car and Im up for $1000 all up.

- Sway bar links are fked
- Power steering rack
- Fuel leak (only 10 bux)

and I forgot what the other probs were.

Ah well you have to expect this with older cars

Paul kappa

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore 2000 olymic edition
hi,admj1. what is the name of the rod from where the stabiliser bar is connected to t

Hi admj1, how u going.
if you can hear a metallic noise when you go over a lump, we found that to be the part when the stabiliser bar is connected to the strut i suppose... it has a bolt, 2 or 4 rubbers and 4 concave washers for each side...and the rubbers had virtually disintegrated... so that was an easy fix as well...

what is the name of that rod with the rubbers. checked mine and as also destroyed the rubbers. Going to get the part, just need the name champ. Thanks. Paul

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Power steering racks are pretty good on VN's. Mine had over 300,000km and it only needed a mesh adjustment and one rack end replaced. Also the coupling to the steering shaft the lock nut lost it's "lock" and was a bit loose when I took it apart.
As far as the clunk from under the car when you turn one way only mine did that and I took it to 2 or 3 mechaics and some said it was the back suspension bushes but they seemed OK to me. Anyway it turned out to be the gearbox loose on the cross member. There are 2 parts to an auto cross member and it was the smaller of the 2 where it bolts to the gearbox rubber, you can't see these nuts from under the car unless you take the larger cross member off first. If you can feel a thud in the floor the same time as the noise then I reckon you need to look at these bolts and there probably loose as well.